Men's Tennis Defeats Richmond, 6-1
By ODU Athletics
Feb. 5, 2005
RICHMOND, Va. - The No. 61 Old Dominion University men's tennis team upped its mark to 4-3 on the year as they defeated the University of Richmond, 6-1, Friday evening. The Monarchs captured the doubles point and five of six singles matches. Meanwhile, the Spiders fell to 1-3 on the season.
Old Dominion took two of three doubles matches for the point. Senior Izak van der Merwe (Kempton Park, South Africa) and sophomore Henrique Cancado (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) teamed for an 8-4 victory over the Spiders' Schwandt and Cabana at No. 1 doubles, while sophomore Nate Grover (Suffolk, Va.) and Juliano Cirimbelli (Balneario Camboriu, Brazil) earned an 9-8 (3) win over Banker and Stillwagon at No. 3 doubles to capture the point.
In singles action, it took seventh ranked Izak van der Merwe three sets to finish off Schwandt at No. 1 singles. Van der Merwe took the match, 5-7, 6-1, 6-2. Herique Cancado played to a straight set, 6-1, 6-3, win over Cabana at No. 2 singles, and Eidy Igarashi (Sao Jose do Rio Preto, Brazil) captured a 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (6) winner at No. 3 singles over the Spiders' Moss. Rodrigo Souza (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) defeated Richmond's Stillwagon, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 5 singles, while Juliano Cirimbelli picked up a straight set, 7-6, 6-3 decision over McNally.
1) VanderMerwe/Cancado def. Schwandt/Cabana (UR) 8-4
2) Moss/McNalley (UR) def Souza/Igarashi 8-6
3) Grover/Cirimbelli def. Banker/Stillwagon (UR) 9-8 (3)
1) #7 Van der Merwe def. Schwandt (UR) 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
2) Cancado def. Cabana (UR) 6-1, 6-3
3) Igarashi def. Moss(UR) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (6)
4) Banker (UR) def. Mello 6-3, 6-3
5) Souza def. Stillwagon (UR) 6-2, 6-1
6) Cirimbelli def. McNally (UR) 7-6, 6-3