Men's Tennis Opens Spring Season
Jan. 30, 2002
NORFOLK, VA -- The Old Dominion men's tennis team opened the 2002 spring schedule this past week posting a 2-1 record. The Monarchs defeated George Washington, 5-2, and Georgetown, 4-1, and fell to Cornell 3-2.
Against the Colonials, Old Dominion swept the doubles competition with two wins. Junior Patrick Binkowski (Orby, Sweden) and sophomore Zoltan Csanadi (Timisoara, Romania) posted a 8-3 win at first doubles, while teammates sophomore Calin Milos (Timisoara, Romania) and sophomore Niklas Oskarsson (Halmstad, Sweden) combined for a 8-2 win. In singles action versus George Washington, Csanadi, Milos, junior Salman Mohammed (Calcutta, India), and Oskarrson were each victorious in their respective slots in straight sets.
The Monarchs followed by spilting their singles matches with the Cornell Big Red. The first and second singles athletes of Csanadi and Milos gave Old Dominion two wins against Cornell, both in straight sets. Csanadi picked up a 6-2, 6-2 win over Zach Gallin, while Milos recorded a 6-3, 6-0 victory.
On the same afternoon, the Old Dominion tennis team earned its second dual meet win of the season with a win over Georgetown. All four singles players were winners in straight sets. Csanadi used a 6-1, 6-4 game for a win at first singles over Andre Benjamin, while Milos posted a second singles 6-3, 6-3 victory over Nick Sklavounos. Oskarsson played to a 6-3, 6-0 win at third singles over Ken Jordan and Binkowski wrapped up play with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Aaron Shumaker at the fourth slot.
Old Dominion 5 George Washington 2
1. Zoltan Csanadi (ODU) d. Matt Hane (GW) 6-1,6-1
2. Calin Milos (ODU) d. Jacob Jupling (GW) 2-6,7-5,6-3
3. Salman Mohammed (ODU) d. Kevin Wright (GW) 6-2,6-3
4. Matt Treadgold (GW) d. Patrik Binkowski (ODU) 2-6,6-4,6-4
5. Niklas Oskarrsson (ODU) d. Kinzie Wright (GW) 6-2,6-1
6. George Washington wins #6 singles by default.
1. Patrick Binkowski / Zoltan Csanadi (ODU) d. Matt Hane / Jacob Jopling (GW) 8-3
2. Calin Milos / Niklas Oskarsson (ODU) d. Kevin Wright / Matt Treadgold (GW) 8-2
3. George Wasington wins #3 doubles by default
Cornell 3 Old Dominion 2
1. Zoltan Csanadi (ODU) d. Zach Gallin (CU) 6-3,6-2
2. Calin Milos (ODU) d. Julian Cheng (CU) 6-3,6-0
3. Chris Lewis (CU) d. Salman Mohammed (ODU) 7-6,2-6,6-3
4. Scott Paltrowitz (CU) d. Niklas Oskarsson (ODU) 6-4,6-3
Cornell wins the doubles match by default
Old Dominion 4 Georgetown 1
1. Zoltan Csanadi (ODU) d. Andre Benjamin (GTOWN) 6-1,6-4
2. Calin Milos (ODU) d. Nick Sklavounos (GTOWN) 6-3,6-3
3. Niklas Oskarsson (ODU) d. Ken Jordan (GTOWN) 6-3,6-0
4. Patrik Binkowski (ODU) d. Aaron Shumaker (GTWON) 6-1,6-2
Georgetown wins the doubles match by default