ODU Women's Tennis Upsets No. 36 NC State
By ODU Athletics
Jan. 24, 2009
Durham, N.C. – The Old Dominion University women’s tennis team surrendered the doubles point, but rebounded to win five of the six singles matches to upend No. 36 North Carolina State 5-2 Saturday afternoon in Raleigh. With the win the Lady Monarchs improved to 3-2 and snapped a two-match losing streak to ACC opponents after falling to No. 41 Virginia and No. 9 Duke.
The Lady Monarchs got on the board when NC State’s Daria Petrovic was forced to retire in the second set of her match at No. 4 against Margarita Spicin. The No. 2 match featured two ranked opponents in NC State’s Hojckova (87th) and ODU’s Haarhoff (88th). Hojckova got the upper hand, winning 6-0, 6-4.
From there it was all ODU, as the Lady Monarchs won the remaining four matches, two coming in straight sets. At No. 1 Fahoum dropped the first set before bouncing back to defeat Brock 4-6, 6-2, 6-2. Likewise, at No. 3 Joanna Dobrowolska also came from one set down to earn her victory over the Wolfpack’s Neils Barringer, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
ODU returns to action next Saturday, Jan. 31 when the Lady Monarchs host a doubleheader against Penn at 1 p.m. and Howard at 5 p.m.
Old Dominion d. No. 36 NC State, 5-2
1. Brock/Hojckova (NCSU) d. No. 40 Haarhoff/Fahoum (ODU) 8-3
2. Barringer/Mortlock (NCSU) d. Dobrowolska/Spicin (ODU) 8-6
3. Petrovic/Sessoms (NCSU) d. Dementyeva/Citic (ODU) 8-6
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Nadine Fahoum (ODU) d. Berkeley Brock (NCSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 87 Lenka Hojckova (NCSU) d. No. 88 Charleen Haarhoff (ODU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Joanna Dobrowolska (ODU) d. Neils Barringer (NCSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Margarita Spicin (ODU) d. Daria Petrovic (NCSU) 6-3, 1-0 ret.
5. Irina Dementyeva (ODU) d. Diana Mortlock (NCSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Marija Citic (ODU) d. Pender Sessoms (NCSU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 4,2,3,1,5*,6
*Clinches the win