Lady Monarch Tennis Halts #53 Hokies, 5-2
By ODU Athletics
April 4, 2004
NORFOLK, VA -- The Old Dominion University women's tennis team improved its mark to 7-8 overall in the spring dual meet season as the unranked Lady Monarchs upset #53 Virginia Tech, 5-2.
No. 30 Nataly Cahana defeated #94 Anat Elazari giving up just one game with a 6-0, 6-1, victory at No. 1 singles. The win upped Cahana's mark to 26-6 on the season and was her eighth straight victory.
Also earning wins for the Lady Monarchs were Fernada Luiz with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Felice Lam at No. 3 singles, Coralie Herrmann with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Caroline Rodriguez at No. 5 singles, and Maria Martinez earning a 6-4, 7-5 win at No. 6 singles over Meredith Holmes.
Old Dominion swept all three doubles matches to earn the doubles points. At No. 1 doubles, Nataly Cahana and Coralie Herrmann played to an 8-4 victory over Felice Lam and Anat Elazari. At No. 2 doubles, Kerstin Endlich and Fernada Luiz combined for a 9-7 vwin over the Hokies' Caroyn Kramer and Ashley James. Rounding out doubles play was the Old Dominion tandem of Larissa Santos and Barbara Kerner defeating Meredith Holmes and Caroline Rodriguez, 8-6.
Old Dominion 5 #53 Virginia Tech 2
1. Cahana/Herrmann (ODU) d. Lam/Elazari (VT) 8-4
2. Endlich/Luiz (ODU) d. Kramer/James (VT) 9-7
3. Santos/Kerner (ODU) d. Holmes/Rodriguez (VT) 8-6
1. #30 Nataly Cahana (ODU) d. #94 Anat Elazari (VT) 6-0,6-1
2. Carolyn Kramer (VT) d. Kerstin Endlich 2-6,6-2,6-4
3. Fernada Luiz (ODU) d. Felice Lam (VT) 6-3,7-5
4. Ashley James (VT) d. Larissa Santos (ODU) 6-3,6-0
5. Coralie Herrmann (ODU) d. Caroline Rodriguez (VT) 6-0,6-3
6. Maria Martinez (ODU) d. Meredith Holmes (VT) 6-4,7-5