ODU Tennis Starts Fast & Finishes Strong in 6-1 Victory Over JMU
NORFOLK, Va. - The Old Dominion University men’s tennis team defeated the Dukes of James Madison by a final score of 6-1. The feisty Monarchs bounced right back to their winning ways after their loss to a very talented No. 47 UNCW yesterday. With the win the Monarchs improve to 12-6 on the year, while JMU falls to 5-9 overall.
The Monarchs held serve in doubles, getting two early wins to clinch the all-important doubles point. Zvonimir Podvinski and Koen Wiggemans made quick work of Alex Berdnikoff and Brett Moorhead (8-2). Carlos Lopez-Villa and walk-on Abdoulaye Camara also took care of business against the Dukes’ Maxi Brath and Sebastian Salinas (8-3).
No. 96 Lopez Villa was a real catalyst for the team, winning in dominating fashion against Robert Stirling of JMU (6-1, 6-0). ODU’s junior right-hander from Madrid, Spain was the only Monarch to go undefeated on the weekend.
Abdoulaye Camara picked up his fifth win since joining the team as a walk-on in February over Niels Kathol (6-2, 6-0).
Jonas Kuwert earned his sixth win in the No. 4 singles position in straight sets against Brett Moorhead (6-4, 6-1).
Zvonimir Podvinski dropped a set early but was able to come back and rally off two straight sets, including a third set tiebreaker, to win against Maxi Brath (4-6, 7-5, (10-8)).
Koen Wiggemans struggled in the first set against Miljan Ruzic (7-6(8-6), 6-4), but proved his resiliency and was able to win the first set in a tiebreaker and a tight second set.
Old Dominion: 6 James Madison: 1
1. Miljian Ruzic/Robert Stirling (JMU) d. Jonas Kuwert/DanteTerenzio (ODU) 8-4
2. Zvonimir Podvinski/Koen Wiggemans (ODU) d. Alex Berdnikoff/Brett Moorhead (JMU) 8-2
3. Carlos Lopez-Villa/Abdoulaye Camara ODU) d. Maxi Branth/Sebastian Salinas (JMU) 8-3
1. No. 96 Carlos Lopez-Villa (ODU) d. Robert Stirling (JMU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Sebastian Salinas (JMU) d. Dante Terenzio (ODU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Zvonimir Podvinski (ODU) d. Maxi Brath (JMU) 4-6, 7-5, (10-8)
4. Jonas Kuwert (ODU) d. Brett Moorhead (JMU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Koen Wiggemans (ODU) d. Miljan Ruzic (JMU) 7-6(8-6), 6-4
6. Abdoulaye Camara (ODU) d. Niels Kathol (JMU) 6-2, 6-0
NEXT UP FOR THE TENNIS MONARCHS
Next weekend the Monarchs will travel to Mobile Ala. to face-off against South Alabama on Saturday April 5. The following day they will travel down the road to Birmingham to square off against Conference USA foe UAB.
Be sure to keep up with all the latest news regarding ODU Men’s Tennis on Facebook; as well as follow @ODUMensTennis on Twitter.