No. 39 ODU Defeats Middle Tennessee 4-3 for Fifth Straight Victory
By ODU Athletics
NORFOLK, Va. – The No. 39 Old Dominion men’s tennis team (13-3) overcame two deficits en route to a 4-3 win over Middle Tennessee (5-11) on Friday afternoon outside at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center in front of over 100 fans. ODU trailed 1-0 and then 2-1, but ultimately claimed victory in four of the six singles matches. The Monarchs have now won five matches in a row.
“The story of the match is that we never gave up and fought,” said ODU head coach Dominik Mueller. “We battled until the last point and it paid off again. I’m very proud of Jacob Nicolussi to clinch the last match after he didn’t do well in the same situation last year. That shows how far we have come.”
“Thanks to all ODU fans and student-athletes that came out today to support us during our Championship Effort,” Mueller continued. “That made the difference today and we enjoy playing in front of our crowd.”
Old Dominion will be right back in action at home tomorrow, as well as on Sunday, both against Conference USA foes. First on Saturday, March 25, ODU will welcome Florida Atlantic for a 3:00 p.m. start. On Sunday, March 26, the Tennis Monarchs will square-off against Charlotte at 10:00 a.m.
Live Stats for all home matches can be found here: LIVE STATS LINK
(Be sure to click refresh button after the match has started)
Meet Florida Atlantic
The Owls have started the season off 14-4 and are currently on a five-match winning streak. This trip marks the first time this season that Florida Atlantic has left the state of Florida for a match.
Charlotte has started the season off 9-9, rattling off five straight wins to start the spring. The 49ers then went on to lose six straight before going on another four-match winning streak. They are currently on a three-match losing streak.
For a complete look at the ITA Singles, Doubles and Team Rankings, please CLICK HERE.
Tennis Match Results
Friday, March 24, 2017
Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center
No. 39 Old Dominion 4, Middle Tennessee 3
1. #36 Adam Moundir (ODU) def. Tom Moonen (MT) 6-4, 7-5
2. Gonzalo Morell (MT) def. Michael Weindl (ODU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Jacob Nicolussi (ODU) def. Miguel Negre (MT) 7-6, 5-7, 6-3
4. Javier Jover Maestre (ODU) def. Gian Issa (MT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Aziz Kijametovic (ODU) def. Luis Morillo Diaz (MT) 6-3, 2-6, 6-0
6. Max Rauch (MT) def. Justin Herrera (ODU) 6-7, 6-2, 6-3
1. Tom Moonen/Gonzalo Morell (MT) def. Aziz Kijametovic/Jose Nunez Navarro (ODU) 6-4
2. Gian Issa/Miguel Negre (MT) def. Michael Weindl/Jacob Nicolussi (ODU) 6-2
3. Adam Moundir/Javier Jover Maestre (ODU) def. Max Rauch/Nicolas Buitrago (MT) 6-2
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2*); Singles (4,2,1,5,6,3*)
BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR TENNIS MONARCHS ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
Be sure to keep up with all the latest news regarding ODU Men’s Tennis on Facebook; as well as follow @ODUMensTennis on Twitter.