No. 49 Old Dominion Takes Down UNCW, 4-3
By ODU Athletics
WILMINGTON, N.C. – The No. 49 Old Dominion men’s tennis team (16-5) defeated UNC Wilmington (11-8) by a 4-3 score on Friday afternoon at the UNCW Tennis Courts. ODU has now eight of its last 10 matches.
“I'm very proud of our spirit,” said ODU head coach Dominik Mueller. “Wilmington is one of the toughest places to play on the road and we mastered this hostile environment. At this stage of the season, it's all about finding a way to win and we did that today.”
The Monarchs will wrap up the regular season on Sunday, April 16 at 1:00 p.m. when they take on William & Mary (9-10) in Williamsburg, Va.
Meet William & Mary
Sunday will mark the final regular season match for both teams. William & Mary is currently on a two-match losing streak after falling to Middle Tennessee and VCU by a score of 4-3 in both matches.
Tennis Match Results
Old Dominion vs. UNCW
April 14, 2017 at Wilmington, N.C.
(UNCW Tennis Courts)
#49 Old Dominion 4, UNCW 3
1. #44 Adam Moundir (ODU) def. Andres Torres (UNCW) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Michael Weindl (ODU) def. Josh Hublitz (UNCW) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jacob Nicolussi (ODU) def. Agustin Savarino (UNCW) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
4. Ignasi de Rueda (UNCW) def. Javier Jover Maestre (ODU) 5-7, 7-6 (10-8), 3-5
5. Ralphael Calzi (UNCW) def. Aziz Kijametovic (ODU) 6-1, 0-6, 6-3
6. Michael Copeland (UNCW) def. Justin Herrera (ODU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Agustin Savarino/Ignasi de Rueda (UNCW) def. Jose Nunez Navarro/Aziz Kijametovic (ODU) 6-4
2. Adam Moundir/Javier Jover Maestre (ODU) def. Andres Torres/Michael Morphy (UNCW) 6-4
3. Michael Weindl/Jacob Nicolussi (ODU) def. Gabe Hocevar/Michael Copeland (UNCW) 7-5
Old Dominion 16-5; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,5,6,1,3,4)
Official: Donald Wilson
For a complete look at the ITA Singles, Doubles and Team Rankings, please CLICK HERE.
BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR TENNIS MONARCHS ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
Be sure to keep up with all the latest news regarding ODU Men’s Tennis on Facebook; as well as follow @ODUMensTennis on Twitter.