Monarchs Bite Spiders, 7-0
By ODU Athletics
NORFOLK, Va. - The Old Dominion University women’s tennis team improved to 4-1 on the season after defeating Richmond (0-2) by a 7-0 score on Friday afternoon inside of the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center.
Old Dominion claimed victory in straight sets in five of the six possible singles matches.
Today’s Gameday Professor - Dr. Meredith Doxey
Meredith A. Doxey, PhD, grew up in the Virginia Beach and Norfolk area. Always active in sports, she continued to play and coach lacrosse while completing her doctorate at The University of Texas at Austin. Doxey returned to the area seven years ago and is currently an Assistant Professor-Adjunct teaching Sports Psychology in the Sport Management Department and other classes in the Psychology department. She also coaches lacrosse at Norfolk Academy. Doxey was nominated by Nataliia Vlasova and Natalya Malenko.
The Monarchs will be back in action tomorrow, Saturday, Jan. 27, when they welcome Navy (2-1) at 1:00 p.m. Admission for all ODU home matches is FREE.
This season, Navy head coach Keith Puryear is in the middle of his tenth season running the Mids women’s tennis program. Puryear has a history of winning at Navy. He is the only head coach in the history of Navy women’s tennis and sports an overall record of 159-59 with the Mids. In addition, Puryear led them to six straight 20-win seasons from 2010-2016. That streak was broken last season when they finished 18-12. Up to this point this season, he has the Mids off to a 2-1 start after a 6-1 victory over St. Bonaventure and a 7-0 win against Saint Francis. Their one setback was a narrow 4-3 loss to Penn State.
ODU: 7 Richmond: 0
1) Holly Hutchinson (ODU) def. Emily Dunbar (UR) 7-5, 6-2
2) Nataliia Vlasova (ODU) def. Dessi Zlatava (UR) 6-0, 6-0
3) Yulia Starodubtseva (ODU) def. Lea Owens (UR) 6-3, 5-7, (10-8)
4) Tori Olivarez (ODU) def. Kiana Marshall (UR) 6-2, 6-3
5) Louie McLelland (ODU) def. Gaby Rosales (UR) 6-3, 6-4
6) Adriana Rajkovic (ODU) def. Lyndell Giffineg (UR) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 4, 5, 1, 3
1) Hutchinson/Starodubtseva (ODU) def. Dunbar/Zlatava (UR) 6-2
2) Giffenig/Marshall (UR) def. Vlasova/Olivarez (ODU) 6-4
3) Rajkovic/Malenko (ODU) def. Rosales/Ramirez (UR) 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2