Monarchs Fall to No. 25 South Carolina, 6-1
By ODU Athletics
NORFOLK, Va. – The Old Dominion men’s tennis team (4-2) fell to No. 25 nationally ranked South Carolina (9-2) by a 6-1 score on Sunday at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center.
“Our doubles didn’t look good all weekend,” explained ODU head coach Dominik Mueller. “We’ve got to work on that before our next match. I was actually pleased with our level of play in singles, but we didn’t execute in critical moments, which is essential in matches against top teams. We have a brutal stretch ahead of us, so there’s no time to feel sorry for ourselves. We will come back stronger next Friday.”
In No. 2 singles, ODU’s Aziz Kijametovic took down Paul Jubb in straight sets (6-4, 6-4).
The Monarchs will remain at home for their next match, as they take on N.C. State on Friday, Feb. 16 at 1:00 p.m. EST. After that match, Old Dominion will be back in action for a double header against Richmond and Howard respectively on Sunday, Feb. 18. The Monarchs will then hit the road for a match against Harvard on Feb. 23 in Boston, Massachusetts.
No. 25 South Carolina: 6 Old Dominion: 1
- Friedrich/Dennis def. Kijametovic/Musitelli (ODU) 6-3
- Moundir/Jover Maestre (ODU) dnf. Jubb/Mayronne 5-5, unfinished
- O’Keefe/Benton def. Schneider/Gisse (ODU) 7-5
- Friedrich def. Moundir (ODU) 6-4, 6-1
- Kijametovic (ODU) def. Jubb 6-4, 6-4
- No. 95 Dennis def. Weindl (ODU) 7-6, 6-3
- Mayronne def. Schneider (ODU) 7-6, 7-5
- O’Keefe def. Musitelli (ODU) 6-4, 6-7, 7-5
- Benton def. Giesse (ODU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 1, 3*
Singles: 1, 3, 2, 4*, 6, 5