Lady Monarchs Return to The Ted with Marshall, WKU
GAME 14: Old Dominion (6-7, 1-1 C-USA) vs. Marshall (10-3, 2-0 C-USA)
GAME 15: Old Dominion vs. WKU (10-4, 2-0 C-USA)
|Date||Thursday, Jan. 5 at 7 p.m. ET -- Saturday, Jan. 7 at 4 p.m. ET|
|Location||Norfolk, Va. (Ted Constant Center)|
|Game Notes||Old Dominion | Marshall | WKU | C-USA
|Season Stats||Old Dominion | Marshall | WKU | C-USA
|Follow||Video (Marshall) | Video (WKU) | Radio | Live Stats | Twitter|
NORFOLK, Va. -- Following a five-game road trip, the Old Dominion women's basketball team returns to the Ted Constant Center to host Marshall on Thursday, Jan. 5, at 7 p.m. and WKU on Saturday, Jan. 7, at 4 p.m.
The Marshall game will be streamed on CUSA.tv and the WKU game will be streamed on ESPN3/WatchESPN. Both games can be heard on the radio at STAR 1310 featuring play-by-play from Doug Ripley and commentary from Susan Montgomery.
Thursday is also Barefootin' Night. Wear your Hawaiian shirts and be one of the first 250 to arrive and receive a free pair of ODU sandals. Old Dominion ranks 32nd in the nation in average attendance, which ranks in the top 10 percent, with 2,993 fans per game.
Old Dominion (6-7, 1-1 C-USA) went 1-1 on the opening weekend of Conference USA play, defeating Rice, 59-47, before falling at North Texas, 65-55. Senior co-captains Jennie Simms, who is second in the NCAA in scoring with 24.2 points per game, and Destinee Young, who is one of just nine players in the country averaging 11 points and 11 rebounds per game, lead Karen Barefoot's squad. The Lady Monarchs are 5-1 at home this season.
Marshall (9-3, 2-0 C-USA) notched wins over FIU, 70-52, and Florida Alantic, 76-53, last weekend in the opening week of C-USA play. Four different players average 10 or more points per game for head coach Matt Daniel's squad, including Shayna Gore, who ranks fourth in C-USA with 16.4 points per game. Marshall has won five straight entering Thursday.
WKU (10-4, 2-0 C-USA) opened C-USA play with a pair of double-figure victories, defeating Florida Atlantic, 76-55, and FIU, 90-38. Three Lady Toppers average double-figure scoring, including 2015-16 C-USA Player of the Year Kendall Noble, who is averaging 13.1 points, 6.4 rebounds and 4.4 assists. The Lady Toppers have own five straight entering the weekend.
OLD DOMINION (6-7, 1-1 C-USA) NOTES
- ODU has one win in its last five games
- The Lady Monarchs last played at home on Dec. 18 (W, 61-58, over Hampton)
- ODU is 5-1 at The Ted this season with only loss coming to William & Mary
- Jennie Simms ranks second in the NCAA in scoring (24.2ppg)
- Destinee Young is one of nine players in the country averaging 11+ points and 11+ rebounds
- ODU's bench has outscored the opponent's in six consecutive games
MARSHALL (10-3, 2-0 C-USA) NOTES
- Marshall enters Thursday on a five-game winning streak
- The Herd lead C-USA in seven stat categories, including rebound margin and 3PT made
- Shayna Gore (16.4ppg) leads the team and ranks fourth in C-USA in scoring
- Marshall scored a program-record 136 points in a win over Maine Fort Kent
- Four different players average 10+ points; team averages 75.5 points per game
- ODU leads the all-time series, 4-3
WKU (10-4, 2-0 C-USA) NOTES
- WKU plays at Charlotte on Thursday before coming to Norfolk
- Lady Toppers have won five consecutive games entering Thursday
- WKU defeated No. 23 Indiana, 85-74, in the third game of the season
- 2015-16 C-USA Player of the Year Kendall Noble is third on the team in scoring (13.1ppg)
- Tashia Brown (15.0ppg) and Ivy Brown (13.2ppg, 9.6rpg) lead the team in scoring
- WKU leads the all-time series, 12-8
TRACKING SIMMS ON THE ALL-TIME SCORING LIST
1. Anne Donovan (1979-83), 2,719
2. Inge Nissen (1976-80), 2,647
3. Nancy Lieberman (1976-80), 2,430
4. Kelly Lyons (1986-90), 2,224
5. Celeste Hill (1990-94), 2,112
6. Tracy Claxton (1980-85), 1,999
7. Medina Dixon (1982-85), 1,968
8. Nyree Roberts (1994-98), 1,854
9. Clarisse Machanguana (1994-97), 1,813
10. Jennie Simms (2012-present), 1,660