ODU Wrestling Kicks Off 2007-08 Season With Wrestle-Offs Sunday
By ODU Athletics
Oct. 26, 2007
NORFOLK, Va. -- The Old Dominion wrestling program will its annual Blue-Silver Intrasquad this Sunday at noon in the Athletic Administration Building gym, to kick off the 2007-08 season. The Monarchs are receiving votes in the USA Today/NWCA/Intermat Top 25 and are picked to finish second in the CAA after coming off a 12-7 season that saw ODU send three grapplers to the NCAA Tournament. The wrestle-offs are free for all and will begin promptly at noon.
Parking for the wrestle-offs is available in the 43rd Street garage and in the new Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center parking lot. For garage parking, take 43rd St. off of Hampton Blvd. and turn right onto Elkhorn. For parking in the tennis center lot, take 43rd St. off of Hampton Boulevard and turn right onto Parker Ave. leading to the lot.
The event is being held in the Athletic Administration Building directly behind the baseball field on the campus of Old Dominion. Prior to the wrestle-offs, ODU will hold a clinic in technique from 9-12. Registration is $30 and begins at 8:00 am.
- Williams: 2006 NCAA Qualifier; .711 career winning percentage; 53 career wins, 15 career pins
- Watkins: 15-9 record as redshirt freshman, including win in only dual appearance; two-time Maryland state champion
- Nicholson: Alternate on FILA Junior World team; Junior Nationall All-American; Iowa state champion, 42-0 senior season
- Chamberlain: University National All-American; Pennsylvania state champion; ranked fourth in the nation in high school
- Rivera: 2005 Cadet FILA All-American; recorded one pin in unattached wrestling in his redshirt season
- Todd: Four-time Academic All-State in h.s.; Montana state champion; ranked as high as 8th in the nation in h.s.
- Coffey: Started all 19 duals for ODU as a true freshman; 114 career victories in high school
- Pullano: 2007 NCAA Qualifier; 14-bout winning streak last season; named CAA Wrestler of the Week once last season
- Strawn: 2007 Junior World All-American; Went 8-3 against CAA opponents as a true freshman
- Cust: Senior National All-American; ranked as high as 8th in h.s.; two-time Virginia AAA state champion
- Dragon: Won 148 bouts in high school with 111 pins; two-time NHSCA All-American
- Totusek: Three-time state placewinner in Nebraska; state champion his senior year, completed career with a 132-31 record
- Brown: Led team in wins (35) and major decisions (13) last season; Placed in five tournaments and was 14-5 in duals; two-time Virginia AAA state champion in high school; Senior National All-American
- Pendleton: Finished career with 148-12 record; Alabama state champion his senior year; two-time Alabama state finalist
- Hutter: Started 18 of 19 duals as a true freshman; went 8-2 in CAA duals; toppled nationally ranked Chad Sportelli (Kent State)
- Belanger: Three-time Rhode Island state champion; four-time finalist; named Rhode Island Wrestler of the Year; tallied career 118-7 record
- Metzler: Virginia state champion and three-time finalist in high school; wrestled nationally ranked Mike Grimes in only dual appearance as a true freshman
- Okigbo: 40-2 senior season in high school; placed third at Virginia state championship