Women's Tennis Falls 5-2 To No. 73 Richmond
April 19, 2006
RICHMOND, Va. -- The Old Dominion women's tennis team fell to #73 Richmond on Tuesday afternoon, 5-2, in a reschedule match that was originally scheduled for April 8th.
The loss dropped the Lady Monarchs to 18-9 overall as they head into this weekend's Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Tournament to be held at Huntington Park in Newport News. The Spiders represented the ninth ITA ranked opponent ODU has faced this season.
Although the Spiders took the doubles point, the Lady Monarchs thwarted the sweep by winning at No. 2 doubles. ODU's team of Charleen Haarhoff and Fernanda Luiz edged out Beatrice Grasu and Robin Carter, 9-8.
Both Lady Monarchs points were won in singles. Haarhoff picked up her second win of the afternoon by defeating Pam Duvan at No. 2 singles in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. Larissa Santos took the other ODU victory with her No. 5 singles win over Ashlee Vosters, 6-4, 6-4.
#73 Richmond 5 Old Dominion 2
1. Beatrice Grasu (RU) def. Kerstin Endlich (ODU) 6-1,6-2
2. Charleen Haarhoff (ODU) def. Pam Duvan (RU) 6-2,6-2
3. Robin Carter (RU) def. Fernanda Luiz (ODU) 3-6,6-3,6-2
4. Meghan Wolfgram (RU) def. Barbara Costa (ODU) 6-2,7-5
5. Larissa Santos (ODU) def. Ashlee Vosters (RU) 6-4,6-4
6. Jessica Hubbard (RU) def. Barbara Kerner (ODU) 6-4,6-1
Order of Finish 2,1,5,4,6,3
1. Wolfgram/Hubbard (RU) def. Endlich/Santos (ODU) 8-3
2. Haarhoff/Luiz (ODU) def. Grasu/Carter (RU) 9-8
3. Duvan/Vosters (RU) def. Costa/Kerner (ODU) 8-5
Order of Finish 1,3,2