Men's Tennis Upsets #52 Louisiana-Lafayette, 5-1
April 4, 2004
MURFREESBORO, TN -- The Monarch men's tennis team, ranked #57 in the latest ITA Poll, improved to 10-6 on the dual meet season by downing #54 Louisiana-Lafayette, 5-1. The Monarchs swept the doubles points and collected five singles wins en-route to defeating its second ranked opponent of the 2004 spring season.
The duos of Izak van der Merwe/Niklas Oskarsson and Zoltan Csanadi/Calin Milos got Old Dominion off on the right foot by sweeping the doubles points. Van der Merwe and Oskarsson teamed to defeated the Amanjot Sing, 8-4, at No. 1 doubles, while Csanadi and Milos combined for a 8-5 victory against Marc Castellana and Michael Tarkowski at No. 2 doubles.
The Ragin' Cajuns picked up their match at No. 3 singles where Robin Ley defeated the Monarchs' Calin Milos in a tightly contested 7-6, 7-6 battle.
No. 18 Izak van der Merwe improved his record to 25-7 overall with a three set, 6-3, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Louisiana-Lafayette's Amanjot Sing at No. 1 singles. The win was van der Merwe's seventh straight win.
Zoltan Csanadi earned a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 2 singles, his 20th victory of the season, against Marc Casetellana.
Also earning wins for the Monarchs were Henrique Cancado playing to a 7-6, 6-2 win over Ivan Kovalev at No. 5 singles and Niklas Oskarsson allowing just one game to Michael Tarkowski as he picked-up a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles.
#57 Old Dominion 5 #54 Louisiana Lafayette 1
1. van der Merwe/Oskarsson (ODU) d. Singh/Kovalev (UL) 8-4
2. Csanadi/Mello (ODU) d. Castellana/Tarkowski (UL) 8-5
3. Milos/Grover (ODU) vs. Ellison/Ley (UL) DNF
1. #18 Izak van der Merwe (ODU) d. Amanjot Sing (UL) 6-3,5-7,6-1
2. Zoltan Csanadi (ODU) d. Marc Castellana (UL) 6-4,6-4
3. Robin Ley (UL) d. Calin Milos (ODU) 7-6,7-6
4. Adraino Mello (ODU) vs. Shaun Ellison (UL) DNF
5. Henrique Cancado (ODU) d. Ivan Kovalev (UL) 7-6,6-2
6. Niklas Oskarsson (ODU) d. Michael Tarkowski (UL) 6-0,6-1