Lady Monarchs Travel To William & Mary Thursday
By ODU Athletics
Jan. 21, 2009
Thursday, January 22nd - 7:00 p.m. (EST)
Kaplan Arena - Williamsburg, Va.
Old Dominion Lady Monarchs (10-5, 5-0 CAA) vs.
College of William & Mary Tribe (10-6, 3-2 CAA)
TV: WSKY (Ch. 4 - Hampton Roads) (John Castleberry - Play-by-Play, Cal Bowdler - Color)
Radio: WXEZ - 94.1 FM, WGAI-560 AM (Tony Mercurio - Play-by-Play)
Audio: Monarch All-Access
Livestats: Courtsey of TribeAthletics.com
LADY MONARCH MOMENTS:
Thursday's game in Williamsburg will be broadcast by WSKY (Ch. 4 - Hampton Roads) with John Castleberry and former Monarch Cal Bowdler on the call.
Old Dominion is on the road in three of their next four games. The lone home appearance during the stretch will be against James Madison on Sunday.
The Lady Monarchs are winners in their last five outings. ODU's last two opponents, George Mason and Georgia State, were each kept under the 50 points mark.
Senior Jazzmin Walters returned to the court after missing last Thursday night's game with a knee injury to post a game-high 18 points. It was the most the 5-2 senior has scored in CAA competition in her career as a Lady Monarch.
Sophomore Jasmine Parker added in 11 points as the third Lady Monarch in double figures on Sunday. Parker has scored in double figures in all five CAA contests thus far and is averaging 14.3 points a game against CAA rivals.
Old Dominion returns to the Ted Constant Convocation Center on Sunday to host James Madison. The game will be broadcast by Comcast SportsNet (Ch. 35 - Hampton Roads) and available in HD. Al Koken and Jody Lavin-Patrick will be on the call.
COMPARE AND CONTRAST:
ODU - W&M
71.1 - Scoring - 59.4
.403 - Field Goal Percentage - .380
.310 - 3PT Field Goal Percentage - .300
.657 - Free Throw Percentage - .556
44.0 - Rebounds Per Game - 42.2
14.7 - Assists Per Game - 14.3
19.3 - Turnovers Per Game - 20.3
9.9 - Steals Per Game - 8.6
5.1 - Blocks Per Game - 5.5
ABOUT WILLIAM & MARY:
The Tribe of the College of William & Mary enters Thursday's contest with a 10-6 overall mark and 3-2 record in the CAA. The Tribe is 5-1 at home which included a 98-38 win over common opponent Norfolk State. However, William & Mary has dropped its last two contests, a 52-69 setback at UNC-Wilmington last Thursday and a 45-55 loss at Hofstra on Sunday. Junior forward and Virginia Beach native Tiffany Benson is the lone Tribe member averaging double figures at 12.8 points per outing and is also hauling in a conference-leading 11.0 rebounds per game.
ALL-TIME SERIES WITH WILLIAM & MARY:
Old Dominion leads the all-time series 46-3. The Tribe has not defeated the Lady Monarchs in 32 years with William & Mary's last victory over Old Dominion coming back in the 1975-76 season with an 89-53 win. Since then the Lady Monarchs have been winners of the last 44 contests.
LAST TIME VS. WILLIAM & MARY:
Former Lady Monarch Shahida Williams notched her first double-double of the season in helping the No. 13/14 Old Dominion women's basketball team to its 14th straight win of the season in an 83-68 victory over William & Mary in the fifth annual "Hoops for a Cure" game. Williams poured in 18 points and hauled in a game-high 13 boards as a season-high 4,825 fans came through the turnstiles. After four ties and five lead changes to open the game, Old Dominion broke it open by rattling off 25 points and holding the Tribe to just six over the final 11:08 of the first half. Senior Devin James gave the Tribe a 22-20 lead with two of her team-high 16 points, but the Lady Monarchs proceeded to use a 9-0 run to take over the lead for good. Old Dominion entered the half up, 45-28. The Lady Monarchs led by as many as 27 in the second half with William & Mary able to reduce its deficit to 15 in the final minutes. T.J. Jordan led all scorers with 20 and moved into 18th on the all-time scoring leaders list surpassing 2002 WNBA draftee Lucienne Berithieu. Jordan and Williams, whose 18 points were a season-high, were two of four Lady Monarchs in double figures along with Tiffany Green with 16 and senior Megan Pym adding in 12 points. Along with James, other members of the Tribe in double figures included Kyra Kaylor with 15 and Kelly Heath adding in 14.
CLUTCH AT KAPLAN:
For two straight years, Old Dominion has escaped Williamsburg with a win over William & Mary thanks to free throws from Tiffany Green. Back on Jan. 20th, 2008 in the last meeting at Kaplan Arena, Green was at the line with 1:11 remaining against the Tribe, putting the her in a similar circumstance to the previous season. In 2007, Green, who at times struggles from the charity stripe, iced two free throws to seal a 56-52 win. This year, Green once again went to the line, with Old Dominion clinging to a one-point lead last year, and nailed both her free throw attempts and followed up with a lay-up after the Tribe missed a three-pointer in an attempt to tie the score to seal the game.
GREEN AT THE LINE:
Senior Tiffany Green, who entered last week shooting 69 percent from the charity stripe, shot 90 percent (9-of-10) from the line last week in ODU's wins over George Mason and Georgia State.
WELCOME BACK SHORT STUFF:
Senior Jazzmin Walters missed last Thursday's game with George Mason with a knee injury. But you certainly would not have noticed when she return to the court on Sunday against Georgia State. Walters poured in a game-high 18 points along with five assist and three steals in helping the Lady Monarchs to a 62-46 victory.
CAA ROAD STREAK:
The Lady Monarchs have won five contests against the CAA away from the friendly confines of the Ted Constant Convocation Center. The streak began in the CAA regular season final last year against UNC-Wilmington and continued with three wins at the CAA Tournament at the Bob Carpenter Center. The streak continues this season as ODU has picked up a road win at UNC-Wilmington. The Lady Monarch's last CAA road loss was a 76-63 setback to James Madison at the JMU Convocation Center back on March 2, 2008.
ALL-TIME ODU POINTS LIST
1. - 2,719 - Anne Donovan (1979-1983)
2. - 2,647 - Inge Nissen (1976-1980)
3. - 2,430 - Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980)
4. - 2,224 - Kelly Lyons (1986-1990)
5. - 2,112 - Celeste Hill (1990-1994)
6. - 1,999 - Tracy Claxton (1980-1985)
7. - 1,968 - Medina Dixon (1982-1985)
8. - 1,854 - Nyree Roberts (1994-1998)
9. - 1,813 - C. Machanguana (1994-1997)
10. - 1,622 - Mery Andrade (1995-1999)
11. - 1,574 - Adrienne Goodson (1984-1988)
12. - 1,565 - Okeisha Howard (1999-2003)
13. - 1,525 - T.J. Jordan (2004 - present)
14. - 1,492 - Donna Harrington (1987-1988)
15. - 1,483 - Hamchetou Maiga (1998-2002)
16. - 1,447 - Shareese Grant (2001-2005)
17. - 1,409 - Monique Coker (2000-2004)
18. - 1,408 - Angela Cotman (1976-1980)
19. - 1,382 - Lucienne Berthieu (1998-2002)
20. - 1,304 - Ticha Penicheiro (1994-1998)
21. - 1,275 - Kim McQuarter (1985-1989)
22.- 1,233 - Tiffany Green (2004 - present)
23. - 1,096 - Shonda DeBerry (1992-1996)
24. - 1,085 - Sharron Francis (1998-2002)
25. - 1,050 - Rhonda Rompola (1978-1981)
26. - 1,023 - Aubrey Eblin (1995-1999)
ALL-TIME ODU ASSISTS LIST
1. Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980) - 961
2. Ticha Penicheiro (1994-1998) - 939
3. Maire Christian (1983-1987) - 492
4. Sharron Francis (1998-2002) - 488
5. Debbie Richard (1976-1979) - 471
6. Mery Andrade (1995-1999) - 447
7. Medina Dixon (1982-1985) - 417
8. Jazzmin Walters (2005-present) - 414
9. Shareese Grant (2001-2005) - 376
10. Rhonda Rompola (1978-1981) - 362
ALL-TIME ODU REBOUNDS LIST
1. Anne Donovan (1979-1983) - 1,976
2. Inge Nissen (1976-1980) - 1,459
3. Tracy Claxton * (1980-1985) - 1,434
4. Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980) - 1,167
5. Celeste Hill (1990-1994) - 1,124
6. Kelly Lyons (1986-1990) - 1,008
7. Nyree Roberts (1994-1998) - 986
8. Medina Dixon ** (1982-1985) - 979
9. Monique Coker (2000-2004) - 951
10. Donna Harrington (1984-1988) - 884
Tiffany Green (2004-pres.) - 872
* - played two seasons at Kansas
** - played one season at South Carolina
CAA CAREER BLOCKS LIST
1. Trish Halpin, Mason (1997-2000) - 236
2. Nyree Robers, ODU (1994-98) - 214
3t. Hollee Franklin, JMU (1999-2002) - 186
3t. Tiffany Green, ODU (2004-pres.) - 186
5. Amy Dorsett, UR (1993-1997) - 176
6. Vanessa Gidden, HU (2004-2007) - 175
7. Mona Karlsson, VCU (1996-1999) - 156
8. Rebecca Dayvault, W&M (1989-1993) - 155
9. Monique Pompili, ECU (1984-1988) - 149
10. Quanitra Hollingsworth, VCU (2005-pres.) - 144
Sun. Jan. 25th - James Madison
It's a WHITEOUT - Wear white ODU t-shirt to the game.
Backyardagin's onsite courtesy of Cox Communications. Have your picture taken with Uniqua.
Take a Kid To The Game Day - Buy one adult ticket at regular price and receive one children's ticket FREE.
Big Blue's Birthday Party - Enjoy cake with Big Blue prior to the game. Stick around and watch Blue take on his mascot friends at halftime in a friendly game of basketball.
Sunday Stars perform at halftime