Lady Monarchs Get Back on Track vs. Iowa State, 5-2
By ODU Athletics
Feb. 27, 2010
NORFOLK, Va. -- In her first match as the 15th ranked singles player in the nation, junior Nadine Fahoum (Haifa, Israel) just kept rolling with a straight set victory at No. 1, leading ODU to a 5-2 victory against Iowa State today.
Fahoum has now won 13 straight at No. 1 singles as she faces the second-ranked player in the region tomorrow at Virginia, #38 Lindsey Hardenbergh. She dropped junior Cyclone Erin Karonis, 6-3, 6-2.
In singles play, the same four players won for ODU as Dobrowolska took the win at No. 2, 6-4, 6-2 against Maria Dernanda Macedo, Dementyeva won at No. 3, 7-6 (4), 6-3 against Tessa Lang, and Ivanova earned the win at No. 4, 5-7, 6-2, 6-1 versus Jenna Langhorst.
Iowa State earned wins at the last two singles slots, as sophomore Marie-Christine Chartier won at No. 5 and junior Liza Wischer won at No. 6.
ODU improves to 9-4 in duals this season and will take on 25th ranked Virginia on the road tomorrow.
1. Fahoum/Dobrowolska (ODU) def. Langhorst/Karonis (ISU); 8-3
2. Ivanova/Dementyeva (ODU) def. Lang/Macedo (ISU); 8-4
3. Palen/Wischer (ISU) def. Citic/Pires (ODU); 8-4
1. #15 Nadine Fahoum (ODU) def. Erin Karonis (ISU); 6-3, 6-2
2. Joanna Dobrowolska (ODU) def. Maria Fernanda Macedo (ISU); 6-4, 6-2
3. Irina Dementyeva (ODU) def. Tessa Lang (ISU); 7-6 (4), 6-3
4. Diana Ivanova (ODU) def. Jenna Langhorst (ISU); 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
5. Marie-Christine Chartier (ISU) def. Juliana Pires (ODU); 6-4, 6-3
6. Liza Wischer (ISU) def. Marija Citic (ODU); 6-2, 6-1
FINAL SCORE: Old Dominion 5, Iowa State 2