South Alabama Halts ODU Win Streak At Three
By ODU Athletics
April 12, 2008
Norfolk, Va. - The Old Dominion University men's tennis team had its three-match winning streak snapped on Saturday with a 4-3 loss to visiting South Alabama. With the loss the Monarchs fall to 18-14, while the 65th ranked Jaguars improve to 12-8.
The Monarchs began the day by securing the doubles point with victories in two of the three doubles matches. Alex Seleznev and Tobias Fanselow won 8-6 at No. 1, but it was a dominating 8-0 performance at No. 3 by Rodrigo Souza and Eidy Igarashi over South Alabama's Michael O'Brien and Aaron Krisan that gave ODU a 1-0 lead.
Unfortunately, ODU couldn't carry that momentum over into the singles competition where the Monarchs dropped three of six matches. Igarashi accounted for ODU's only singles point by defeating Robert Hodel 6-4, 5-7, 6-2. Tomorrow the Monarchs will host 42nd ranked University of Denver for ODU's Senior Day in recognition of ODU seniors Rodrigo Souza (Rio De Janeiro, Brazil) and Eidy Igarashi (Rio Preto Sao Paulo, Brazil) at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center at 10 a.m.
OLD DOMINION UNIVERISTY vs. UNIVERSITY of SOUTH ALABAMA
1. Seleznev/Fanselow (ODU) def. Hodel/Sramek (USA) 8-6
2. Baker/Nagel (USA) def. Fawcett/Diskin (ODU) 8-4
3. Souza/Igarashi (ODU) def. O'Brien/Krinsan (USA) 8-0
1. Jack Baker (USA) def. Alexandr Seleznev (ODU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
2. Eidy Igarashi (ODU) def. Robert Hodel (USA) 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
3. Marek Sramek (USA) def. Tobias Fanselow (ODU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-0
4. R.J. Nagel (USA) def. Rodrigo Souza (ODU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Aaron Krisan (USA) def. Yakov Diskin (ODU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Alex Funkhouser (ODU) def. Michael O'Brien (USA) 6-1 ret.
FINAL SCORE: SOUTH ALABAMA 4, OLD DOMINION 3