ODU Tennis Opens Spring Season With Win over GWU
Jan. 16, 2010
NORFOLK, Va. -- The ODU men's tennis team took the court today for the first time in the spring season, dropping the George Washington University Colonials, 6-1.
Rookie Albert Ochagavia shined in his Monarch debut, winning in straight sets at No. 5 singles and clinching the doubles point for Old Dominion in the No. 3 slot with fellow freshman Alfredo Rodriguez. Ochagavia won 6-3, 6-2 over Yan Levinski in singles action.
"We were very happy with how we competed today," said assistant coach Dominic Manilla. "George Washington is a very tough team and we were really able to take it to them today with great energy and focus. We had great performances from our veteran players and it was exciting to see Ocha (Albert Ochagavia) really step up big in his first match as a Monarch. We are looking forward to him being a key part of our very deep team."
1. Fanselow (ODU) def. Kushma (GMU) 7-5, 6-0
2. Chomette (ODU) def. Atalay (GMU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Diskin (ODU) def. Hannah (GMU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Muzalewski (ODU) def. Vayghan (GMU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Ochagavia (ODU) def. Levinski (GMU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Blumenfeld (GMU) def. Rodriguez (ODU) 6-3, 4-6, (10-7)
Fanselow/Chomette (ODU) def. Kushma/Hannah(GMU)
Adalay/Vayghan(GMU) def. Diskin/Muzalewski (ODU) 9-8(5)
Ochagavia/Rodriguez (ODU) def. Levinski/Blumfeld (GMU) 9-8(7)
FINAL SCORE: ODU 6 GMU 1