Monarchs Down Hoyas 6-1 In Men's Tennis
Jan. 25, 2008
Norfolk, Va. - The Old Dominion University men's tennis team rolled to a 6-1 win over the visiting Hoyas of Georgetown in the first of two matches Friday afternoon. ODU will also host North Carolina Greensboro at 7 p.m. at the Folkes-Stevens Indoor Tennis Center.
The two teams split the first of three doubles matches with the Hoyas winning 9-7 at No. 3 doubles and the Monarchs' team of Rodrigo Souza and Tobias Fanselow cruising to an 8-2 win at the No. 2 doubles slot. However, it took a hard-fought 9-8 (4) victory by Alex Seleznev and Eidy Igarashi over Georgetown's duo of Jeff Schnell and Kevin Walsh to earn the doubles point for ODU.
In singles action the Monarchs took 10 of 12 sets with Seleznev and Fanselow leading the charge. Playing at the No. 1 position, Seleznev cruised to a convincing 6-0, 6-0 victory, while Fanselow's 6-2, 6-2 win was just as dominant.
The Hoyas' only point of the day came at the No. 4 position where Will Lowell outlasted ODU's Timo Gehrke 7-5, 6-2
OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY vs. GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY
1. Seleznev/Igarashi (ODU) def. Schnell/K. Walsh (GU) 9-8 (4)
2. Souza/Fanselow (ODU) def. Lowell/T. Walsh (GU) 8-2
3. Tywang/Tillem (GU) def. Diskin/Funkhouser (ODU) 9-7
1. Alexander Seleznev (ODU) def. Anthony Tan (GU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Eidy Igarashi (ODU) def. Jeff Schnell (GU) 7-6 (2), 6-1
3. Tobias Fanselow (ODU) def. Adam Gross (GU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Will Lowell (GU) def. Timo Gehrke (ODU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Rodrigo Souza (ODU) def. David Tillem (GU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Yakov Diskin (ODU) def. Ted Tywang (GU) 6-2, 7-6 (10-8)
FINAL SCORE: Old Dominion University 6, Georgetown University 1