43rd Ranked Tribe Edges 38th Ranked ODU In CAA Men's Tennis
By ODU Athletics
Jan. 24, 2008
Norfolk, Va. - In a contest that saw all six singles matches decided in three sets, and two of the three doubles matches extended, the No. 43 Tribe of William & Mary edged the No. 38 Monarchs of Old Dominion 5-2 in CAA men's tennis action Wednesday night. The loss was the first of the season for the Monarchs who fell to 3-1, 0-1 in league play.
The Monarchs began the night on a high note by winning the doubles point behind an exciting finish. The Tribe captured the victory in the No. 1 doubles match 9-7, but the ODU team of Rodrigo Souza and Tobias Fanselow rebounded to cruise to an 8-4 win at the No. 2 doubles position. Consequently, the doubles point came down to the No. 3 doubles match. William & Mary's Richard Wardell and Alexander Zuck took the early lead, but behind the support of the Monarch fans in attendance, ODU's tandem of Yakov Diskin and Alex Funkhouser rallied to earn the 9-7 victory.
In singles action the Monarchs struggled, earning just one win despite winning the first set in five of the six matches. Senior Aleksandr Seleznev defeated William & Mary's Alex Cojanu 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 for the victory at the No. 1 singles position.
1. Cojanu/Juneau (WM) def. Seleznev/Igarashi (ODU) 9-7
2. Souza/Fanselow (ODU) def. Pagon/Vidal (WM) 8-4
3. Diskin/Funkhouser (ODU) def. Wardell/Zuck (WM) 9-7
1. Alexander Seleznev (ODU) def. Alex Cojanu (WM) 6-4,2-6,6-4
2. Dominic Pagon (WM) def. Tobias Fanselow (ODU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6(7)
3. Keziel Juneau (WM) def. Eidy Igarashi (ODU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
4. RIchard Wardell (WM) def. Matt Fawcett (ODU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Marwan Ramadan (WM) def. Rodrigo Souza (ODU) 7-6(6), 1-6, 6-3
6. Alexander Zuck (WM) def. Yakov Diskin (ODU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
FINAL SCORE: College of William and Mary 5 Old Dominion University 2