Men's Tennis Upsets #49 William & Mary, 4-2
By ODU Athletics
April 10, 2004
NORFOLK, VA -- The Old Dominion men's tennis team snapped a two-game slide and improved to 11-8 overall as they 60th ranked Monarchs upset #49 William & Mary, 4-2, in CAA tennis action on Saturday. Despite dropping the doubles point, the Monarchs rallied to take four of the five completed singles matches.
Senior Zoltan Csanadi and sophomore Adriano Mello earned the lone doubles win at the No. 2 position earning a 8-3 victory over Stephen Ward and Sean Kelleher. The Tribe took home wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to take the point. The Tribe's Steve Kane and Geoff Russell defeated Izak van der Merwe and Niklas Oskarsson at No. 1 doubles, 6-4, 6-3, while Calin Milos and Nate Grover fell to William & Mary's Alex Fish and Jeff Kader at No. 3 doubles, 8-3.
The Monarchs won matches at No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 singles. No. 12 Izak van der Merwe defeated #35 Jeff Kader in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1 for a No. 1 singles win. Senior Zoltan Csanadi handed the Tribe's Sean Kelleher a 4-6, 6-1, 7-5 loss at No. 2 singles. At No. 3 singles, senior Calin Milso edged Geoff Russell, 6-2, 6-3, and at No. 4 singles, sophomore Adriano Mello downed Steve Kane, 6-4, 6-1.
The Tribe won just one singles match, with Stephen Ward defeating Niklas Oskarsson, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 6 singles. Old Dominion freshman Alex Cancado was leading Steve Kane 6-4, 3-6, 4-1 at No. 5 singles when it was suspended.
Old Dominion next home tennis match is against North Carolina Wilmington on Saturday, April 17th at 1 pm and will also be senior day.
#60 Old Dominion 4 #49 William & Mary 2
1. #12 Izak van der Merwe (ODU) d. #35 Jeff Kader (W&M) 6-3,6-1
2. Zoltan Csanadi (ODU) d. Sean Kelleher (W&M) 4-6,6-1,7-5
3. Calin Milos (ODU) d. Geoff Russell (W&M) 6-2,6-3
4. Adriano Mello (ODU) d. Steve Kane (W&M) 6-4,6-1
5. Alex Cancado Lead Alex Fish (W&M) 6-4,3-6,4-1
6. Stephen Ward (W&M) d. Niklas Oskarsson (W&M) 6-4,6-3
1. Kane/Russell (W&M) d. van der Merwe/Oskarsson (ODU) 8-3
2. Csanadi/Mello (ODU) d. Ward/Kelleher (W&M) 8-3
3. Fish/Kader (W&M) d. Milos/Grover (ODU) 8-3