William & Mary Shuts Out Old Dominion Men's Tennis, 7-0
By ODU Athletics
April 6, 2005
WILLIAMSBURG, VA -- The No. 69 Old Dominion tennis team was shutout by conference rival William & Mary, 7-0, at the Busch Tennis Courts on Wednesday afternoon. The loss dropped the Monarchs, who return to the ITA Poll this week, to 11-11 overall and 1-1 in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA), while the Tribe upped their mark to 5-13 ovearll and 3-0 in the CAA.
The match began with doubles, where the Tribe swept all three positions for a 1-0 lead. W&M¹s duo of senior Alex Fish and sophomore Colin O¹Brien were finished first, winning at No. 3, 8-4 over Julian Cirimbelli and Eidy Igarashi. Senior Sean Kelleher (Forty Fort, PA) and junior Stephen Ward clinched the point with an 8-5 win at No. 1 over Rodrigo Souza and van der Merwe, and senior Jeff Kader (Geneva, OH) and freshman Alex Cojanu completed the sweep with a 9-7 win at No. 2 over Henrique Cancado and Nate Grover.
Ward quickly gave the Tribe a 2-0 lead with his 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles over Souza and Kelleher put the Tribe one point away from victory with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 3 over Igarashi. William and Mary senior Jeff Kader ranked 60th in the nation, upset No. 26 and CAA Player of the Week Izak van der Merwe in straight sets, clinching the Tribe victory. Kader clinched the match with
The Monarchs return to action on Sunday against UNC-Wilmington at noon in their final regular season home match.
1. #60 Jeff Kader (W&M) d. #26 Izak van der Merwe; 7-6 (2), 6-3
2. Colin O¹Brien (W&M) d. Henrique Cancado; 7-5, 2-2, ret.
3. Sean Kelleher (W&M) d. Eidy Igarashi; 6-3, 6-2
4. Alex Cojanu (W&M) d. Adriano Mello; 6-2, 5-1, ret.
5. Stephen Ward (W&M) d. Rodrigo Souza; 6-1, 6-2
6. Matt Rubenstein (W&M) d. Julian Cirimbelli; 6-3, 6-6, ret.
1. Kelleher/Ward (W&M) d. Souza/van der Merwe; 8-5
2. Cojanu/Kader (W&M) d. Cancado/Nate Grover; 9-7
3. Alex Fish/O¹Brien (W&M) d. Cirimbelli/Igarashi; 8-4