Monarchs Close Out Season With 4-3 Win Over South Alabama
By ODU Athletics
April 10, 2010
NORFOLK, Va. -- ODU closes out the 2010 tennis schedule with a 15-9 mark overall after defeating the University of South Alabama today, 4-3.
After dropping the doubles point to South Alabama, the Monarchs won four singles matches to earn the tight victory. Senior Yakov Diskin won his final regular season home match at No. 3 singles, dispatching sophomore Christian Kuehne in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1.
ODU also got wins from the top two positions, as juniors Tobias Fanselow and Benjamin Chomette won at No. 1 and 2 respectively. Fanselow dropped Romain Bocaert, 7-6 (4), 2-6, 6-4 and Chomette beat Lucas Viel, 6-4, 6-1.
In just his second singles match in over a month, Alfredo Rodriguez would win at No. 6 singles, proving to be the difference. After getting shut out in the first set, Rodriguez bounced back in a tough match, winning 6-4, 7-5 in the second and third for the victory.
Old Dominion only earned one doubles win, as Fanselow teamed with rookie Fahoum Fahoum at the No. 2 position for an 8-7 (7) victory.
ODU will now prepare for the CAA Championships next weekend. The Monarchs are hosting the event, beginning on April 15 at the Folkes-Stevens Indoor Tennis Center.
OLD DOMINION vs. SOUTH ALABAMA
1. Bocaert/Kuehne (USA) def. Muzalewski/Diskin (ODU); 8-3
2. Fanselow/Fahoum (ODU) def. Bernard/Bartsch (USA); 8-7 (7)
3. Viel/Kruger (USA) def. Chomette/Ochagavia (ODU); 8-4
1. Tobias Fanselow (ODU) def. Romain Bocaert (USA); 7-6 (4), 2-6, 6-4
2. Benjamin Chomette (ODU) def. Lucas Viel (USA); 6-2, 7-6 (4)
3. Yakov Diskin (ODU) def. Christian Kuehne (USA); 6-4, 6-1
4. Alexandre Bernard (USA) def. Krzysztof Muzalewski (ODU); 7-5, 6-7 (3) (10-2)
5. Dauw Kruger (USA) def. Fahoum Fahoum (ODU); 6-1, 6-1
6. Alfredo Rodriguez (ODU) def. Hanno Bartsch (USA); 0-6, 6-4, 7-5
FINAL SCORE: Old Dominion 4, South Alabama 3