Soccer Monarchs Fall Short at Penn State, 4-1

November 21, 2010
By ODU Athletics
ODU Sports

Nov. 21, 2010

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Old Dominion University men's soccer scored first but Penn State scored three second half goals in a nine minute stretch and went onto win 4-1 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday afternoon.

The Monarchs finish the season at 10-7-2 while Penn State moved to 14-7-1 and will take on the winner of Maryland versus Penn.

Chris Harmon gave the Monarchs the early lead in the 13th minute when he received a through ball from Federico Espinach, moved to the right and fired a shot inside the far post for the 1-0 lead.

Penn State tied the score in the 26th minute on a goal from Corey Hertzog. Matheus Braga sent a cross pass from the right side that Hertzog gathered five yards out and lofted over the head of ODU goalkeeper Evan Newton just under the cross bar.

ODU came up big in the 67th minute to keep the score tied, Braga broke in alone on the left side, Evan Newton came out to stop the break but Braga's shot got past him but was headed over the goal by Tommy Webb.

The Nittany Lions took the lead in the 72nd minute when Braga crossed from the right to Hertzog who headed it just off the finger tips of Newton.

PSU added its third goal when Jordan Tyler scored off a cross pass from Hertzog. Just two minutes after Tyler's goal, ODU nearly got back to with in one when Gideon Asante's header hit the left post and was knocked away by the PSU defense.

Hertzog added a penalty kick goal for his third of the game in the 82nd minute.

The Nittany Lions had a solid opportunity with seven minutes to play in the first half but Braga's shot from 13 yards out was stopped by a diving Newton.

ODU held possession for most of the beginning of the match. In the ninth minute, Alex Vaughan sent a cross pass from the left to Yannick Smith, whose shot from seven yards out went wide left.

Just a few minutes later PSU had a corner kick and the ball bounced out to Treavor Gelsinger, he rifled a shot from 12 out but Newton dove to his right to keep the score tied.

Braga had another chance on a free kick from 20 yards out to the upper corner that Newton kept out of the net.

In the 15th minute Smith got a shot off from 17 yards out that PSU keeper Brendan Birmingham stopped.

The Monarchs just missed a great chance in the final minute of the first half when Gideon Asante sent a ball into the box that Daniel Lidster gathered five yards away, but just missed wide right.

Each team had 15 shots while ODU led in corner kicks 6-4.

Newton made six saves for ODU while Birmingham made seven for PSU.