Women's Tennis Downs Boston, 4-3
March 28, 2009
Norfolk, Va. – The Lady Monarch tennis team extended its winning streak to four on Saturday with a 4-3 victory over Boston University at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center. With the win the ODU improves to 18-4, while the Terriers fall to 8-9.
The two teams fought hard throughout the singles competition, knotting the score at 3-3 with just the No. 3 match still on the court. ODU’s Joanna Dobrowolska defeated Petra Santini, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 to secure the 4- win for the Lady Monarchs. Nadine Fahoum and Irina Dementyeva also picked up straight sets wins for ODU at No. 1 and No. 5 respectively.
“The University of Boston has a very good and respected program with some good wins this season such as the one over Harvard,” said head coach Darryl Cummings. “Today was a very competitive match that was only decided at the very end. It was nice to see different individuals on our team step up and show toughness and character at the hardest times to bring us the victory. Hopefully our next few matches will be played outdoors so we can gear up for the upcoming CAA Championship.”
1. Fahoum/Spicin (ODU) def. Whu/Nunic (BU) 8-2
2. Santini/Corrao (BU) def. Dobrowolska/Dementyeva (ODU) 8-0
3. Citic/Haarhoff (ODU) def. Lefkowith/Abraham (BU) 8-6
1. Nadine Fahoum (ODU) def. Stefanie Nunic (BU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Francine Whu (BU) def. Charleen Haaroff (ODU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
3. Joanna Dobrowolska (ODU) def. Petra Santini (BU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
4. Cori Lefkowith (BU) def. Margarita Spicin (ODU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Irina Dementyeva (ODU) def. Elizabeth Corrao (BU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Yana Sadovskaya (BU) def. Marija Citic (ODU) 6-3, 6-4
#55 Old Dominion 4, Boston University 3