#68 Old Dominion Falls To #20 Virginia Commonwealth, 5-2, In Men's Tennis Action
By ODU Athletics
Feb. 15, 2006
RICHMOND, Va. -- After moving up three spots in the latest ITA rankings to #68 after defeating William & Mary last Sunday, the Old Dominion men's tennis team fell to #20 Virginia Commonwealth, 5-2, on Wednesday at the Thalhimer Tennis Center.
The victory was the third straight for the Rams, who upped thier mark to 10-2 overall. The loss was the first in Colonial Athletic Association competition this spring for the Monarchs, who fell to 6-5 overall and 2-1 in the CAA.
Old Dominion's points came from No. 1 and No. 2 singles. Harel Srugo (Kibutz Gazit, Israel) defeated his second straight ranked opponent as he downed the Rams' Arnaud Lecloerec, ranked #52 in the country, in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2. On Sunday, he had defeated #57 Stephen Ward of William & Mary in three sets.
Junior Henrique Cancado (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) captured the other Monarch point needng tie-breaks in both sets. He defeated Francesc Lleal, 7-6 (1), 7-6 (1) for the win.
The Monarch men's tennis team will return to action on Friday, February 17th in two matches. Old Dominion will host both American and Howard at Center Court Racket Club in Newport News.
#20 VCU 5, #68 Old Dominion 2
1. Harel Srugo, O, def. #52 Arnaud Lecloerec, 6-4, 6-2
2. Henrique Cancado, O, def. Francesc Lleal, 7-6 (1), 7-6 (1)
3. Petr Olsak, V, def. #90 Eidy Igarashi, 7-5, 6-1
4. Georges-Alexandre Israel, V, def. Aleksandr Seleznev, 6-4, 7-6 (4)
5. Sergi Arumi, V, def. Nathanial Grover, 6-3, 6-1
6. Damien Lacombe, V, def. Matthew Sands, 6-2, 6-1
1. Lecloerec/Olsak, V, led #33 Cancado/Igarashi, 5-3 DNF
2. Lleal/Arumi, V, def. Srugo/Seleznev, 8-5
3. Ripoll/Lindgren, V, def. Grover/Sands, 8-1