St. Mary's Post-Game Notes
By ODU Athletics
Nov. 15, 2008
* Old Dominion kicked off the 2008-09 season with a 93-63 victory over St. Mary's in the opening day of the World Vision Classic. The victory brought the Lady Monarchs to 27-13 in season openers. Old Dominion's 30-point victory was the most in a season opener since their 82-26 victory over Towson to start the 2001-02 season.
* Old Dominion has now won back-to-back season openers (including last season's 76-68 victory over Middle Tennessee). It is the first time the Lady Monarchs have had back-to-back season opening victories since winning seven straight from 93-94 to 99-00.
* Junior Jessica Canady with her 13 points and 10 rebounds performed her first double-double of the season. It was the sixth double-double of her career.
* With her game-high 19 points, senior Tiffany Green has brough her career scoring total to 1,019. Green needs four more points to move into 25th on the all-time Lady Monarch scoring leaders list surpassing Aubrey Eblin (1995-1999).
* In her first career game as a Lady Monarch, freshman Mairi Buchan nearly registered a double-double. Buchan went 6-of-10 from the floor and 2-of-2 from the line to finish with 15 points as ODU's second leading scorer. She also hauled in nine boards.
* In addition to making her first career start, sophomore Shadasia Green set a new career-high mark in rebounds. Leading the Lady Monarchs, who outboarded the Gaels 57-35, 11 boards, Green reset her former mark of eight set against Delaware State bac on Dec. 20, 2007.
* Three of the Lady Monarch freshman played in their first career games. Mairi Buchan played 22 minutes narrowly missing a double-double with 15 points and nine rebounds. Margaret Harvey saw 16 minutes of action registering three points and three assists. Rachel DeMita logged three minutes of time on the hardwood.
* Alena "Russia" Voronina set a new career mark in minutes played. Voronina logged 10 minutes in the ODU win over St. Mary's.