Strong Start Not Enough as Lady Monarchs Tie George Mason, 4-4

September 23, 2011
By ODU Athletics
ODU Sports

Sept. 23, 2011

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

NORFOLK, Va. - Old Dominion took a 3-1 lead into halftime and grabbed a 4-3 lead with 10 minutes remaining in the second half, but could not hang on, tying George mason 4-4 in the CAA opener Friday night.

With the tie, ODU moves to 3-4-2 overall while George Mason is now 3-3-3.

After Mason tied the score at three on a Zoe Doherty goal in the 80th minute, ODU retook the lead less than a minute later on a goal by Kate Kelly.

Tori Diersen sent a long clear down the left side that Kelly gathered, Mason keeper Lyndse Hokanson came out to stop Kelly but the ODU sophomore beat Hokanson to the right and fired a shot from 20 yards out into the open net to give the Lady Monarchs a 4-3 lead with 10 minutes left.

With less than two minutes left in the half, Hokanson fired a kick that went to Liz Hodges, Hodges got off a shot from 20 yards out from the right that Brianna Alvarado got a hand on, but the ball crossed the line to tie the score at four.

ODU held a 5-3 shot advantage in the overtimes, with their best chance coming when Rachael Carroll sent in a cross from the right side that was headed backwards by the Patriots, the ball reached Lisa Bernardini whose header was stopped by Hokanson. The deflection came out to Jessie Klamut but her shot sailed high.

The Lady Monarchs went on the attack quickly as Ashlee Coutu got a pass from Bernardini inside the box and fired a shot just inside the right post to give ODU the 1-0 lead.

In the 40th minute, Mason tied the score when Tiana Kallenberger sent a shot from the right side that Alvarado stopped with a diving save, but Alyssa Andersen was there to pick up the rebound to tie the score at one.

ODU went right back on the attack as Taylor Mertz sent in a cross from the left side that Victoria Johnson stepped into as she took a shot that found the back of the net to give ODU the lead back at 2-1.

With just 30 seconds left in the first half, Rachael Carroll sent in a long cross from the right side that went through GMU starting keeper Alex Bodenschatz hands and Jessie Klamut was there for the goal to put ODU up 3-1 heading into halftime.

George Mason closed the gap in the 71st minute when Kallenberger sent in a cross from the right that Mary Kate Lowry headed into the goal to make the score 3-2.

Mason tied the score at three on Doherty's goal in the 80th minute to set up the final stages.

ODU held an 11-5 halftime shot lead while Mason led 11-4 in the second half. ODU held a slim 20-19 advantage for the full match. The Lady Monarchs also held a 9-3 lead in corner kicks.

Bernardini led ODU with five shots while Andersen finished with four for Mason

Alvarado finished the game with six saves for ODU while Hokanson and Bodenschatz had four saves apiece for GMU.

The Lady Monarchs are back in action Sunday afternoon when they host Towson at 1 p.m. at the ODU Soccer Stadium.