Varsity 8 Reaches Grand Final for First Time in ODU History
By ODU Athletics
March 29, 2010
FAIRFAX STATION, Va. -- The Varsity 8 advanced to the Grand Final for the first time in the young program's history, after a second place finish in the morning qualifying races. The V8 boat led the way for Old Dominion as they continued the Spring 2010 slate at the Occoquan Sprints.
"I was very impressed with how the girls handled the multi-race format," said acting head coach Daniel Garbutt. "This is a very young team, comprised of first- and second-year rowers, a large portion of which discovered the sport only in college. They improved throughout the day, which shows that training has been effective. The focus of this young team has been impressive this year."
The single day regatta featured three heats of five boats each in both the Varsity and Junior Varsity 8 competitions. Only the top two finishers in each heat would advance to the finals.
The Old Dominion Varsity 8 advanced to the Grand Final with a second place finish and a time of 6:52.5 in the morning heats, and then, in terrible racing conditions, finished fourth at the Grand Final. With 25 mph gusts and white caps on the water, the Lady Monarchs finished in a time of 6:32.5, less than a second behind Temple in third place.
The Junior Varsity 8 added a win of the second-level finals, recording the fourth fastest time of the event (6:57.8), finishing 7th overall. The team missed the Grand Final of their event, but ODU's JV8 squad won the consolation race, finishing just two-tenths of a second behind the third place boat in the Grand Final.
Wrapping up for ODU was the Novice 4 boat, finishing 5th in its heat and 8th among the 13 teams that competed in the event.
Occoquan Sprints Final Results:
Women's Varsity 8+ Grand Final
1. Bucknell - 6:18.200
2. Duke - 6:21.257
3. Temple - 6:31.624
4. Old Dominion - 6:32.599 (Cox: Allison Geigerich, Stroke: Liz Hess, 7: Abby Voss, 6: Callie Roadcap, 5: Jen Easterling, 4: Maeghan Pardy, 3: Christina Gravelle, 2: Kiersten Stephens, Bow: Nicole Meyer)
5. Loyola - 6:36.860
6. North Carolina - 6:38.454
Women's Varsity 8+ Heat One
1. Bucknell - 6:51.700
2. Old Dominion - 6:52.532
3. Georgetown - 6:59.662
4. Franklin & Marshall - 7:33.040
5. St. John's - 8:00.890
Women's Junior Varsity 8+ Petite Final
1. Old Dominion - 6:57.830 (Cox: Beth Doughtie, Stroke: Shelby Favre, 7: Amanda May, 6: Diana Lewis, 5: Marie Gately, 4: Gia Thompson, 3: Kelly McHale, 2: Heather Leach, Bow: Laurel Bransfield)
2. Georgetown - 7:01.964
3. North Carolina - 7:16.739
4. Mary Washington - DNS
Women's Junior Varsity 8+ Heat #2
1. Bucknell - 6:56.899
2. Duke - 6:57.838
3. George Mason - 6:59.481
4. Old Dominion - 7:11.304
5. North Carolina - 7:22.752
Women's Novice 4+ Heat One
1. George Mason - 7:56.500
2. Georgetown - 7:59.147
3. Loyola - 8:10.739
4. North Carolina - 8:26.919
5. Old Dominion - 8:35.492 (Cox: Ashley Payne, Stroke: Mary Kent, 3: Bridjette Parker, 2: Meredith Laverdure, Bow: Sara Carroll)