#6/4 Football Monarchs Handle Campbell, 70-14
Sept. 15, 2012
Post-Game Press Conference:
NORFOLK, Va. - Taylor Heinicke threw for 486 yards and a school record seven touchdown passes to lead #6/4 Old Dominion to a 70-14 thrashing over Campbell Saturday night at Foreman Field at S.B. Ballard Stadium.
ODU stormed out to a fast start scoring 28 first quarter points as Heinicke was a part of all four touchdowns. Heinicke started the scoring on a 13-yard run and threw touchdown passes to Antonio Vaughan, Angus Harper and Blair Roberts for the 28 point lead.
Campbell got on the board to start the second quarter when Isaac Scott sacked Heinicke to force a fumble and Taurean Lynch returned it to the three yard line to set up a scoring run for Kurt Odom.
ODU added two more scores before the half, an 11-yard strike from Heinicke to Roberts and a Colby Goodwyn six-yard run. Sandwiched between the two scores was a 27-yard scamper from Dakota Wolf as ODU took a 49-14 halftime lead.
The Monarchs shutout Campbell in the second half and added four more scores as Roberts hit paydirt for a third time while Larry Pinkard, Tyree Lee and Nate Ong all scored. Roberts' trio of touchdowns were also a school record.
Heinicke was 21-of-29 on the night and also finished with 41 yards rushing. Harvey Taylor led ODU on the ground with 76 yards as the Monarchs ran the ball late. Goodwyn added 59 yards. Nick Mayers, Roberts and Lee all had four catches for ODU.
Wolf carried 22 times for 101 yards for the Camels and was 8-of-16 in the air for 56 yards.
Old Dominion improved to 3-0 on the year playing in its final non-conference contest before opening the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) portion of its schedule next weekend with New Hampshire.
The Monarch host the #18/18 New Hampshire Wildcats in the first-ever meeting between the two teams next Saturday at noon in front of the Comcast SportsNet cameras.
Game Captain: Nick Mayers
Coach Bobby Wilder pulled out one of the specialty plays for the special teams on ODU's first drive of the game. At fourth and six at their own 46-yard line, on what looked to be the Monarchs' punting on their opening drive turned into Jakwail Bailey running the ball 18-yards for a first down.
ANOTHER BEST IN THE BOOKS:
Quarterback Taylor Heinicke reset his own school record for touchdown passes in a game with seven in the victory over Campbell. Heinicke surpassed the previous record of five TD passes in both of last year's playoff games vs. Norfolk State on Nov. 26, 2011 and at Georgia Southern on Dec. 3, 2011.
OPENING WITH A BANG:
Taylor Heinicke's score on the Monarchs' opening drive was the 18th time in the school's 37-game history and second time this season they have scoring on their opening possession.
By the end of the first quarter, Heinicke had passed for 197 yards and three touchdowns completing seven of nine passes and ran the ball five times for 36 yards and a touchdown
A TRIO OF A RECORD:
Blair Roberts' three touchdown receptions are the most by a Monarch in a game in ODU's 37-game history. The Monarchs have had five different student-athletes - Nick Mayers, Marquel Thomas, Larry Pinkard, & Reid Evans- score TD catches twice in a game - most recently with Nick Mayers in the week one 57-23 win over Duquesne.
The 70 points scored by the Monarchs in week three set a record for most points in a game. Saturday's 70 points surpassed the previous record of 57 tied in week one in the 57-23 victory over Duquesne along with the Monarchs' 57-9 victory over Savannah State on November 6, 2010.
Most Points Scored in a Game:
1. 70, Campbell, Sept. 15, 2012
2. 57, Duquesne, Sept. 1, 2012; 57, Savannah State, Nov. 6, 2010
3. 49, Virginia Union, Sept. 12, 2009
4. 48, at #3/2 Georgia Southern, Dec. 3, 2011; 48, #20 UMass, Oct. 1, 2011
5. 45, VMI, Nov. 13, 2010; 45, Hampton, Sept. 17, 2011;45, Hampton, Sept. 8, 2012
BY THE QUARTERS:
Old Dominion is currently outscoring its opponents 80-41 in the first half of contests and 92-3 in the second half. The Monarchs haven't let an opponent onto the scoreboard in either the first or third quarters and have not allowed a touchdown by the opposition in second half action. The only scoring by an ODU opponent in second half action thus far was a field goal in week one vs. Duquesne.
ODU has outscored the opposition 45-0 in the first quarter, 55-0 in the third quarter, and 37-3 in the fourth quarter. The second quarter meanwhile has ODU opponents outscoring the Monarchs 41-35, which includes Campbell's two touchdowns Saturday.
UPDATING THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore Taylor Heinicke's 13-yard touchdown that gave ODU the 7-0 lead on the Monarchs' first drive was his first rushing touchdown of the 2012 campaign and the fifth of his career.
- Redshirt sophomore Antonio Vaughan's 37-yard touchdown reception of the second of the season and seventh of his career.
- Redshirt sophomore Angus Harper had his second receiving touchdown of the season on the Monarchs' third drive which needed just one play having the redshirt sophomore on an 84-yard TD reception. Harper entered the game with three catches for 10 yards, including a touchdown in the season opener with Duquesne.
- Sophomore Blair Roberts had a school record three touchdowns catches to up his total to four TD receptions on the year.
- Redshirt sophomore Larry Pinkard recorded his second touchdown of the year and 11th career TD reception to kick off second half action.
- Junior Colby Goodwyn had his second touchdown of the year and eighth of his career
- Sophomore Tyree Lee had his first touchdown reception of his career to push ODU's lead to 63-14. In the previous two outings, Lee had lead the rushing corps with three carries into the end zone.
- Redshirt senior Nate Ong scored his first Monarch touchdown on ODU's final score of the night.
Old Dominion limited Campbell to 56 yards passing and just 76 yards rushing in second half action. Alex Johnson led the defensive with six stops, while Caleb Taylor make five tackles, including a 13-yard sack. Craig Wilkins and John Darr also each had five tackles in the victory.
DGB DOES IT AGAIN:
Dominique Guinn-Bailey recovered his second fumble in Saturday's win over the Camels. The redshirt sophomore help set up ODU's first scoring drive of the third quarter as he recovered a fumble by Campbell QB Dakota Wolf at the Camel's own 28 on the second play of the quarter. Two plays later, Taylor Heinicke connected with Larry Pinkard on a 21-yard TD pass to put ODU up 49-14.
HMMMM, HMMMM GOOD:
Armark donated a case of soup for every Monarch touchdown on Saturday night for a total of 30 cases of soup going to feed needy people in the Hampton Road area.