Women's Basketball Looks To Rebound At Georgia State Thursday
By ODU Athletics
Jan. 28, 2009
Thursday, January 29th - 6:00 p.m. (EST)
GSU Sports Arena - Atlanta, Ga.
Old Dominion Lady Monarchs (11-6, 6-1 CAA) vs.
Ceorgia State Panthers (10-6, 3-2 CAA)
LADY MONARCH MOMENTS:
Old Dominion looks to return to the win column following a 67-72 loss to James Madison on Sunday. The loss was only the third CAA loss in Norfolk for the Lady Monarchs and 18th since joining the CAA in the 1991-92 season.
The Lady Monarchs close out a pair of season series with week with road trips to Georgia State on Thursday and VCU on Sunday.
The second half against James Madison saw Old Dominion shoot only 18 percent from the floor and a mere 19-of-33 from the foul line.
Sophomore Jasmine Parker added in 12 points against the Tribe Thursday night. Parker has scored in double figures in all five CAA contests thus far and is averaging 14.3 points a game against CAA rivals.
Senior Tiffany Green, who entered Sunday's game with four consecutive double-doubles went 0-for-6, collecting all six of her points from the charity stripe. Green did haul in 14 boards as the Lady Monarchs were outrebounded by five, 45-40. The Dukes are the only CAA team to outboard the Lady Monarchs this season.
Senior Tiffany Green finished last week with five blocks moving her into sole possession of third place on the CAA Career Blocks List with 191 career rejections. Additionally, last week Green totaled 26 rebounds to move her into 10th on the All-Time ODU Rebounding List with 896 career boards.
COMPARE AND CONTRAST:
ODU - GSU
70.5 - Scoring - 64.0
.396 - Field Goal Percentage - .404
.304 - 3PT Field Goal Percentage - .245
.656 - Free Throw Percentage - .656
44.4 - Rebounds Per Game - 36.1
14.2 - Assists Per Game - 14.9
19.1 - Turnovers Per Game - 17.6
9.9 - Steals Per Game - 12.7
5.1 - Blocks Per Game - 2.9
ABOUT GEORGIA STATE:
The Georgia State Panthers enter Thursday's contest with a 10-8 overall mark and are 2-5 in the CAA. On Tuesday night, the Panthers snapped a four-game slide with a 73-42 non-conference contest against Winthrop. The game was a make-up after being postponed from its original December 13th date. Leading scorer junior forward Danyiell McKeller has missed the last five games with an injury. She had been averaging 13.2 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Next on the stat sheet is rookie guard Jylisa Williams, who enters Thursday averaging 11.7 points and 5.1 rebounds per game. Georgia State currently boasts a 8-1 mark on its homecourt at the GSU Sports Arena.
ALL-TIME SERIES WITH
Old Dominion leads the all-time series 7-0. The Panthers are one of five CAA teams that have yet to record a victory over the Lady Monarchs. The series began three years ago, during the 2005-06 season when Georgia State moved to the CAA from the Atlantic Sun Conference. The Lady Monarchs won the first of season series this year, 62-46, on January 18th at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
LAST TIME VS. GEORGIA STATE:
Down by one at the half, the Old Dominion women's basketball team turned it up a notch in the second half en-route to a 62-46 win over Georgia State at the Ted Constant Convocation Center back on January 18th. Senior Jazzmin Walters, who missed the previous game with a knee injury, returned to the court for a game-high 18 points along with five assist and three steals. Joining Walters in double figures were senior Tiffany Green and sophomore Jasmine Parker with 11 apiece. Green also hauled in 12 boards for her seventh double-double of the year. Old Dominion trailed 23-24 at the half and were down 34-37 with 11:09 remaining before taking over the game. The Lady Monarchs used a 12-2 run, sparked by the traditional three-point play by Walters, and would never look back. Walters scored 11 of her game-high 18 points in half number two. The Panthers were held to only three field goals and a free throw during the final 5:35 of the contest. Old Dominion outscored Georgia State 16-5 during the span. Georgia State, who without the services of leading scorer Daniyell McKeller, had three in double figures. Chandra Harris posted a double-double with 12 points and 10 boards, while Jylisa William and Brittany Hollins each collected 10 points a piece. Old Dominion outrebounded Georgia State, 48-30, led by Green's 12 and sophomore Sierra Little's career-high nine.
THE UNHAPPY RECAP:
The Old Dominion women's basketball team had its 37 game CAA home win streak snapped and was handed only its third home CAA loss in history with a 72-67 loss to James Madison Sunday afternoon. The Dukes' Dawn Evans, who leads the nation in scoring, ignited for 36 points. Old Dominion, meanwhile, shot only 18 percent in the second half and went just 25-of-40 from the free throw line. The loss was only the Lady Monarch's third ever conference loss on its homecourt having suffered a 70-74 loss to Richmond on February 19, 1992 and Delaware on January 9, 2005 with a 70-73 setback. Old Dominion drops to 164-3 at home against the CAA and 317-18 all-time.
CAA HOME COURT STREAK:
The Lady Monarchs had won 37 straight home CAA contests before its 67-72 loss to James Madison Sunday. The streak started back on January 14, 2005, with a 78-59 victory over Virginia Commonwealth. Prior to Sunday, ODU's last conference loss at the Ted Constant Convocation Center was against Delaware, 70-73, on January 9, 2005. Old Dominion holds a 164-3 home CAA mark.
CAA ROAD STREAK:
The Lady Monarchs have won six contests against the CAA away from the friendly confines of the Ted Constant Convocation Center. The streak began in the CAA regular season final last year against UNC-Wilmington and continued with three wins at the CAA Tournament at the Bob Carpenter Center. The streak continues this season as ODU has picked up a road win at UNC-Wilmington. The Lady Monarch's last CAA road loss was a 76-63 setback to James Madison at the JMU Convocation Center back on March 2, 2008.
ALL-TIME ODU POINTS LIST
1. - 2,719 - Anne Donovan (1979-1983)
2. - 2,647 - Inge Nissen (1976-1980)
3. - 2,430 - Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980)
4. - 2,224 - Kelly Lyons (1986-1990)
5. - 2,112 - Celeste Hill (1990-1994)
6. - 1,999 - Tracy Claxton (1980-1985)
7. - 1,968 - Medina Dixon (1982-1985)
8. - 1,854 - Nyree Roberts (1994-1998)
9. - 1,813 - C. Machanguana (1994-1997)
10. - 1,622 - Mery Andrade (1995-1999)
11. - 1,574 - Adrienne Goodson (1984-1988)
12. - 1,565 - Okeisha Howard (1999-2003)
13. - 1,525 - T.J. Jordan (2004 - present)
14. - 1,492 - Donna Harrington (1987-1988)
15. - 1,483 - Hamchetou Maiga (1998-2002)
16. - 1,447 - Shareese Grant (2001-2005)
17. - 1,409 - Monique Coker (2000-2004)
18. - 1,408 - Angela Cotman (1976-1980)
19. - 1,382 - Lucienne Berthieu (1998-2002)
20. - 1,304 - Ticha Penicheiro (1994-1998)
21. - 1,275 - Kim McQuarter (1985-1989)
22.- 1,248 - Tiffany Green (2004 - present)
23. - 1,096 - Shonda DeBerry (1992-1996)
24. - 1,085 - Sharron Francis (1998-2002)
25. - 1,050 - Rhonda Rompola (1978-1981)
26. - 1,023 - Aubrey Eblin (1995-1999)
ALL-TIME ODU ASSISTS LIST
1. Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980) - 961
2. Ticha Penicheiro (1994-1998) - 939
3. Maire Christian (1983-1987) - 492
4. Sharron Francis (1998-2002) - 488
5. Debbie Richard (1976-1979) - 471
6. Mery Andrade (1995-1999) - 447
7. Jazzmin Walters (2005-present) - 422
8. Medina Dixon (1982-1985) - 417
9. Shareese Grant (2001-2005) - 376
10. Rhonda Rompola (1978-1981) - 362
ALL-TIME ODU REBOUNDS LIST
1. Anne Donovan (1979-1983) - 1,976
2. Inge Nissen (1976-1980) - 1,459
3. Tracy Claxton * (1980-1985) - 1,434
4. Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980) - 1,167
5. Celeste Hill (1990-1994) - 1,124
6. Kelly Lyons (1986-1990) - 1,008
7. Nyree Roberts (1994-1998) - 986
8. Medina Dixon ** (1982-1985) - 979
9. Monique Coker (2000-2004) - 951
10. Tiffany Green (2004-pres.) - 898
* - played two seasons at Kansas
** - played one season at South Carolina
CAA CAREER BLOCKS LIST
1. Trish Halpin, Mason (1997-2000) - 236
2. Nyree Robers, ODU (1994-98) - 214
3. Tiffany Green, ODU (2004-pres.) - 191
4. Hollee Franklin, JMU (1999-2002) - 186
5. Amy Dorsett, UR (1993-1997) - 176