Lady Monarch Tennis Falls To Hokies, 5-2
By ODU Athletics
Feb. 25, 2005
BLACKSBURG, Va. -- The Old Dominion women's tennis team fell to in-state rival Virginia Tech as the Hokies snapped a two-match losing skid with a 5-2 victory Friday afternoon at the Burrows/Burleson Tennis Center on the Virginia Tech campus. Tech improved to 4-3 with the win while Old Dominion fell to 6-7.
The Lady Monarchs captured their two points at No. 2 and No. 5 singles respectively. Sophomore Fernanda Luiz (Nova Lima, Brazil) downed Ashley James in straight sets in her 6-3, 6-2, No. 2 singles victory while classmate Barbara Kerner (Herxheim, Germany) picked up a straight set, 6-4, 6-3 win over Kate Harrington at the No. 3 spot.
Although the Hokies took the doubles points, ODU's tandem of freshman Barbara Costa (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) and Kerner took home an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles over Tech's Meredith Homes and Bethan James.
The Lady Monarch tennis team will return to action on Saturday in Blacksburg when they take on Miami in a neutral court match. Game time is at 4:00 p.m.
1. Anat Elazari (VT) def. Kerstin Endlich (ODU) 6-0, 7-6
2. Fernanda Luiz (ODU) def. Ashley James (VT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Jessica Long (VT) def. Barbara Costa (ODU) 6-0, 2-6, 6-4
4. Bethan James (VT) def. Larissa Santos (ODU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Barbara Kerner (ODU) def. Kate Harrington (VT) 6-4, 6-3
6. Meredith Holmes (VT) def. Linda Garder (ODU) 6-2, 6-0
1. Elazari/Long (VT) def. Endlich/Luiz (ODU) 8-2
2. Harrington/A. James (VT) def. Garner/Santos (ODU) 8-5
3. Costa/Kerner (ODU) def. Holmes/B. James (VT) 8-1