Women's Tennis Rebounds With 5-2 Win Over Princeton
Jan. 31, 2006
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- The Old Dominion women's tennis team rebounded from Sunday's loss to #72 Virginia with a 5-2 victory over Princeton in a neutral court match at the Indoor Stadium at the Boar's Head Sports Club on the campus of the University of Virginia.
The Lady Monarchs went on to capture four singles and two doubles matches for the victory.
In singles, senior Kerstin Endlich (Neustadt, Germany) used three sets to get past Darcy Robertson at the No. 1 spot, 7-6 (10), 4-6, 1-0. At No. 3 singles, newcomer Charleen Haarhoff (Durban, South Africa) posted a 6-3, 6-4 victory over the Tigers' Joanne Roth. Sophomore Fernanda Luiz (Nova Lima, Brazil) earned a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles against Brittany Holland and junior Larissa Santos (Florianopolis, Brazil) played her way to a 6-4, 6-4 No. 5 singles victory over Princeton's Laura Trimble.
In doubles, the Lady Monarchs were winners at the No. 1 and No. 3 slots. Haarhoof and Luiz teamed up for an 8-4 win over Jessica Siebel and Ivana King, while junior Barbara Kerner (Herxheim, Germany) and sophomore Barbara Costa (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) picked up a tightly contested 9-8 match against Christine Kansky and Ranlan Williams.
The Lady Monarchs return to action on Wednesday when they host George Washington at Center Court Racket Club in Newport News at 1:00 p.m.
Old Dominion 5 Princeton 2
1. Kerstin Endlich (ODU) d. Darcy Robertson (Princeton) 7-6 (10),4-6,1-0 (5)
2. Ivana King (Princeton) d. Barbara Costa (ODU) 6-0,4-6,7-5
3. Charleen Haarhoff (ODU) d. Joanne Roth (Princeton) 6-3,6-4
4. Fernanda Luiz (ODU) d. Brittany Holland (Princeton) 6-1,6-2
5. Larissa Santos (ODU) d. Laura Trimble (Princeton) 6-4,6-4
6. Kelly Stewart (Princeton) d. Linda Garder (ODU) 6-2,6-4
1. Haarhoff/Luiz (ODU) d. Jessica Siebel/King (Princeton) 8-4
2. Robertson/Roth (Princeton) d. Endlich/Santos (ODU) 8-0
3. Kerner/Costa (ODU) d. Christine Kansky/Ranlan Williams (Princeton) 9-8