Monarchs Eliminated from 2010 CAA Tournament in Quarterfinals
April 16, 2010
NORFOLK, Va. -- The fourth-seeded Monarchs were eliminated from the 2010 CAA Tournament today, after falling to #5 seeded Georgia State in a 4-1 final. Junior Tobias Fanselow earned the lone point for ODU, taking a singles win at the No. 1 position.
Fanselow, named to the All-CAA First Team last night, improved to 25-9 overall this season and wrapped up a 22-win spring season with the victory. He rallied to defeat Georgia State's Jackson Moore, despite falling in the first set. He earned the victory, 3-6, 6-3, 6-0 to get ODU on the board.
He also paired with Benjamin Chomette for to open up the match with an ODU victory at No. 1 doubles. They won 8-3 over Moore and Trenton Spinks at the top spot. The Panthers, though, would take the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and 3.
In singles play, GSU would seal the victory with wins at No. 2, 3 and 5. Old Dominion wraps up the season with a 15-10 overall record and the Panthers advance to face #1 William & Mary in Saturday's semifinal match.
2010 CAA MEN'S TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP - Quarterfinals
Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center - Norfolk, Va.
#5 Georgia State 4, #4 Old Dominion 1
1. Tobias Fanselow (ODU) def. Jackson Moore (GSU); 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
2. Victor Valente (GSU) def. Benjamin Chomette (ODU); 6-0, 6-2
3. Juan Pablo Gutierrez (GSU) def. Yakov Diskin (ODU); 6-2, 6-0
4. Trenton Spinks (GSU) vs. Krzystof Muzalewski (ODU); 1-6, 3-2 - DNF
5. Henri Mangin (GSU) def. Fahoum Fahoum (ODU); 6-3, 6-2
6. Lucas Santana (GSU) vs. Albert Ochagavia (ODU); 6-2, 4-3 - DNF
Singles Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 5
1. Fanselow/Chomette (ODU) def. Moore/Spinks (GSU); 8-3
2. Valente/Mangin (GSU) def. Diskin/Muzalewski (ODU); 8-5
3. Gutierrez/Santana (GSU) def. Fahoum/Ochagavia (ODU); 8-2
Doubles Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
Other results in Friday's quarterfinal:
#3 UNC Wilmington 4, #6 James Madison 0
#2 VCU 4, #7 Delaware 0
#1 William & Mary 4, #8 Drexel 0
For complete results, go to caasports.com