Monarchs Cruise Past Georgia State In Men's Tennis, 6-1
April 4, 2009
Norfolk, Va. – The No. 69 ODU men’s tennis team improved to 3-1 in the Colonial Athletic Association and 17-10 overall with a 6-1 victory over visiting Georgia State at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center Saturday morning.
The Monarchs earned the doubles point by sweeping all three matches. Playing in their fourth match as a doubles pair, Tobias Fanselow and Matt Fawcett improved to 4-0 with an 8-2 win over Trenton Spinks and Jackson Moore at No. 1.
In singles action, the Monarchs continued their dominance by winning five of the six matches. Aleksandr Seleznev and Tobias Fanselow both won their 26th matches of the season to remain for tied for the team lead. Seleznev defeated Martin Shishkov 6-3, 6-0 at No. 1, while at No. 2 Fanselow edged Moore, 7-5, 7-6(3).
"It was nice to see our team have a solid performance outdoors under some tough windy conditions,” said assistant coach Dominic Manilla. “We kept our focus throughout the match and were able to have good results in all three doubles and all six singles. The guys are focused and firing on all cylinders just in time for some tough battles ahead with an away match against William and Mary Saturday and South Alabama at home Sunday."
1. Fanselow/Fawcett (ODU) def. Spinks/Moore (GSU) 8-2
2. Marks/Seleznev (ODU) def. Shishkov/Magin (GSU) 8-4
3. Diskin/Muzalewski (ODU) def. Thomaz/Adeimy (GSU) 8-2
1. #80 Aleksandr Seleznev (ODU) def. Martin Shishkov (GSU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Tobias Fanselow (ODU) def. Jackson Moore (GSU) 7-5, 7-6(3)
3. Matt Fawcett (ODU) def. Henri Mangin (GSU) 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Lucas Thomaz (GSU) def. Alex Funkhouser (ODU) 6-4, 4-6 (11-9)
5. Krzysztof Muzalewski (ODU) def. Trenton Spinks (GSU) 7-6(5), 6-1
6. Ben Marks (ODU) def. William Adeimy (GSU) 6-2, 7-5
FINAL SCORE: No. 69 Old Dominion 6, Georgia State 1