No. 55 Men's Tennis Upsets No. 35 N.C. State, 4-3
By ODU Athletics
Feb. 21, 2007
RALEIGH, N.C. -- Wednesday's men's tennis match between No. 55 Old Dominion and No. 35 N.C. State came down to the last match of the afternoon with the Monarch prevailing in the 4-3 upset.
Although N.C. State managed to take the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 singles, ODU's No. 1 doubles team of Henrique Cancado (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) and Harel Srugo, ranked 45th in the country, topped No. 33 Nick Cavady and Ben Zink, 8-2.
Junior Eidy Igarashi topped Jay Weinacker at No. 4 singles, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, at No. 4 to open singles action. Senior and No. 32 Henrique Cancado then helped up the Monarchs up 2-1 with a, 6-3, 7-5, straight set victory over James McGee at No. 2 singles. Sophomore Alex Seleznev pulled ODU within one point of a team win by besting William Noblitt at No. 3, 2-6, 6-1, 6-1.
It took two hours for a victor at the No. 1 spot, but the Wolfpack's Nick Cavaday pulled off the upset of No. 8 Harel Srugo, 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (6). N.C. State then managed to tie the score at 3-3 as Andre Iriarte defeated ODU's Rodrigo Souza at No. 5 singles.
The match came down to freshman Yakov Diskin at the No. 6 position. Diskin captured one of the biggest matches of his young career posting a 6-2, 6-2 straight set win over Ben Zink for the upset victory over the 35th-ranked Wolfpack.
The win marked the fourth straight win for the Monarch men's tennis team this season. Old Dominion improves to 5-2 on the year. N.C. State meanwhile falls to .
The Old Dominion men's tennis team returns to action on Friday, February 23th when they host CAA rival James Madison along with Richmond at Center Court Racket Club in Newport News, Va.
1. No. 45 H. Cancado/H. Srugo (ODU) d. No. 33 Cavaday/Zink, 8-2
2. No. 31 McGee/Weinacker d. E. Igarashi/A. Seleznev (ODU), 8-4
3. Noblitt/Welte d. Y. Diskin/R. Souza (ODU), 8-5
1. Cavaday d. No. 8 H. Srugo (ODU), 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (6)
2. No. 32 H. Cancado (ODU) d. McGee, 6-3, 7-5
3. A. Seleznev (ODU) d. Noblitt, 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. E. Igarashi (ODU) d. Weinacker, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
5. Iriarte d. R. Souza (ODU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Zink d. Y. Diskin (ODU), 6-2, 6-2