Women's Tennis Edges East Carolina, 4-3
March 30, 2006
NEWPORT NEWS, VA. -- The Old Dominion women's tennis team took four of the six singles matches for a 4-3 victory over East Carolina on Thursday afternoon at Huntington Park. Junior Barbara Kerner at No. 6 singles clinched the victory with her 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 performance over the Pirates' Presley Romas.
The Lady Monarchs rallied after giving up the doubles point. Although East Carolina took matches at No. 1 and No. 3 singles, Old Dominion's duo of freshman Charleen Haarhoff and junior Fernanda Luiz emerged with a victory over Mirea Gol and Lura Borges at the No. 2 position with a score of 8-4.
In singles, the Pirates took the first game at No. 3 singles followed up by a Haarhoff victory at the No. 2 spot. Haarhoff downed Gillie Bailey 6-2, 6-0, for the Lady Monarchs' first point of the afternoon
East Carolina went ahead 3-1 with a win at No. 5 singles, however Old Dominion would win out the remaining three matches. The rally began with senior Kerstin Endlich at No. 1 singles. She posted a 6-2, 6-3 winner over Anca Bumitin, followed by Luiz emerging with a 6-2, 3-6, 6-0 win over the Pirates' Kerstin Buchanan to tie the game at 3-3 and set up Kerner for her game-winning match.
The victory improved the Lady Monarchs to 13-6 overall this season. Old Dominion will return to action against #21 William & Mary on April 5th. The Tribe will be the seventh nationally ranked opponent the Lady Monarchs will have faced this season.
Old Dominion 4, East Carolina 3
1. Kerstin Endlich (ODU) def. Anca Dumitin (ECU) 6-2,6-3
2. Charleen Haarhoff (ODU) def. Gillie Bailey (ECU) 6-2,6-0
3. Mirea Gol (ECU) def. Barbara Costa (ODU) 6-0,6-3
4. Fernanda Luiz (ODU) def. Kerstin Buchanan (ECU) 6-2,3-6,6-0
5. Lura Borges (ECU) def. Larissa Santos (ODU) 6-2,6-2
6. Barbara Kerner (ODU) def. Presley Romas (ECU) 7-5,4-6,6-3
Order of Finish 3,2,5,1,4,6
1.Buchanan/Bailey (ECU) def. Endlich/Santos (ODU) 8-6
2. Haarhoff/Luiz (ODU) def. Gol/Borges (ECU) 8-4
3. Dumitin/Romas (ECU) def. Costa/Kerner (ODU) 9-8
Order of Finish 2,1,3