ODU Men's Tennis Defeats Hofstra, 4-0, in CAA Quarterfinals
April 23, 2004
WILLIAMSBURG, VA - Old Dominion's men's tennis team, ranked 55th in the nation and seeded third, defeated sixth-seeded Hofstra, 4-0, this morning in the quarterfinals of the Colonial Athletic Association Men's Tennis Tournament at William and Mary's Adair Tennis Court. The Monarchs improve to 12-8 on the year, while the Pride falls to 11-6.
ODU took a 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point with victories at the bottom two positions. At court three, ODU's Adriana Mello and Niklas Oskarsson defeated Mario Hluch and Rob Sforzo, 8-4. Zoltan Csanadi and Calin Milos clinched the point with an 8-2 win at No. 2 over Mike Bosch and Rodrigo Teixeira.
The Monarchs continued to play well in singles, recording wins at three, five and six. First off was Oskarsson with a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 6 over Mario Hluch. At No. 5, ODU's Henrique Cancado defeated Sforzo, 6-1, 6-2. Milos clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 3 over Bosch.
ODU advances to tomorrow's semifinal at 9:00 AM on W&M's Busch Courts. The Monarchs will face the winner of today's quarterfinal contest between William and Mary and Delaware.
#55 Old Dominion 4, Hofstra 0
Colonial Athletic Association Men's Tennis Tournament Quarterfinal
1. #18 Izak van der Merwe (ODU) vs. Nikola Djordjevic (HU); suspended
2. Zoltan Csanadi (ODU) vs. Rodrigo Teixeira (HU); suspended
3. Calin Milos (ODU) d. Mike Bosch (HU); 6-1, 6-2
4. Adriano Mello (ODU) vs. Matt Schor (HU); suspended
5. Henrique Cancado (ODU) d. Rob Sforzo (HU); 6-1, 6-0
6. Niklas Oskarsson (ODU) d. Mario Hluch (HU); 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 5, 3
1. Nate Grover/van der Merwe (ODU) vs. Djordjevic/Schor
2. Csanadi/Milos (ODU) d. Bosch/Teixeira (HU); 8-2
3. Mello/Oskarsson (ODU) d. Hluch/Sforzo (HU); 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2