ODU Wins Conference Opener In Men's Tennis
By ODU Athletics
Jan. 30, 2009
Norfolk, Va. – The ODU Monarchs swept all three doubles matches and all six singles matches to win their Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) opener 7-0 over visiting James Madison Friday afternoon at the Folkes-Stevens Indoor Tennis Center. With the win the Monarchs improved to 5-1, while the Dukes fell to 0-5 on the year.
The Monarchs opened by winning the doubles with an 8-2 win No. 1, an 8-7(1) win at No. 2, and an 8-3 victory at No. 3.
In singles action, ODU got straight set victories by Aleksandr Seleznev at No. 1, Yakov Diskin at No. 3, Matt Fawcett at No. 5 and Dan Couzens at No. 6. The Monarchs Tobias Fanselow, ranked 80th in the country, needed three sets to defeat JMU’s Mike Smith, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 at No. 2. In the No. 4 match, Alex Funkhouser won the first set 6-4 and after surrendering the second set, rebounded to earn the 6-3 victory in the final set.
The Monarchs return to action Saturday morning when they’ll host Elon at 9 a.m. and Howard at 5 p.m.
1. #43 Seleznev/Fanselow (ODU) def. Robinson/Maarauen (JMU) 8-2
2. Fawcett/Muzalewski (ODU) def. Smith/King (JMU) 8-7(1)
3. Diskin/Funkhouser (ODU) def. Rubenstein/Nissiuen (JMU) 8-3
1. Aleksandr Seleznev (ODU) def. Jared Robinson (JMU) 7-5, 6-3
2. #80 Tobias Fanselow (ODU) def. Mike Smith (JMU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. Yakov Diskin (ODU) def. Ville Maarauen (JMU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Alex Funkhouser (ODU) def. Tommi Nissinen (JMU) 6-4, 6-7(4), (10-6)
5. Matt Fawcett (ODU) def. Brian Rubenstein (JMU) 6-2, 6-4
FINAL SCORE: Old Dominion 7, James Madison 0