Lady Monarchs Advance to Saturday's Semifinal vs. Top-Seeded VCU
April 16, 2010
NORFOLK, Va. -- The fourth-seeded Lady Monarchs bounced back after losing the doubles point and earned four singles wins to get past #5 UNC Wilmington today, 4-2. Old Dominion will take on top-seeded and 24th ranked VCU in the semi-finals on Sunday, at 1:00 p.m.
The Seahawks jumped to a quick 1-0 lead by capturing a pair of close wins at No. 2 and 3 doubles. Lindsay Leblang and Christina Lee squeaked out a 9-7 win over ODU's Joanna Dobrowolska and Juliana Pires at No. 2 and at No. 3, Chelsea Kahle and Hartley Collins won, 8-5, over Irina Dementyeva and Diana Ivanova.
The Lady Monarchs would turn it around, though, winning the first three matches at the top three slots. CAA Co-Player of the Year Nadine Fahoum, ranked 21st in the nation, won in straight sets over Christina Lee at No. 1, 6-3, 6-4, while Dobrowolska and Dementyeva added a pair of straight set wins of their own at No. 2 and 3.
After UNCW teetered back within one, 3-2, with a win at No. 6, the match came down to rookie Diana Ivanova at No. 4 for Old Dominion. Despite dropping the first 11 games of her match, she came back at a torrid pace, rallying for a 0-6, 7-6 (2), 6-1 win over Leblang. Her massive comeback sealed the win for Old Dominion, who now moves on to face VCU in the semifinals on Saturday.
The Rams are ranked 24th in the nation heading into Saturday's match, coming off a flawless 4-0 win over Drexel in the Quarterfinals. ODU faced VCU earlier this season, dropping a 5-2 decision on March 13.
2010 CAA WOMEN'S TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP - Quarterfinals
Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center - Norfolk, Va.
#4 Old Dominion 4, #5 UNC Wilmington 2
1. Nadine Fahoum (ODU) def. Christina Lee (UNCW); 6-3, 6-4
2. Joanna Dobrowolska (ODU) def. Kayla Schwenk (UNCW); 6-2, 6-1
3. Irina Dementyeva (ODU) def. Christina Riley (UNCW); 6-1, 6-2
4. Diana Ivanova (ODU) def. Lindsay Leblang (UNCW); 0-6, 7-6 (2), 6-1
5. Juliana Pires (ODU) vs. Chelsea Kahle (UNCW); 4-6, 6-3, 4-5 - DNF
6. Casey Dashiell (UNCW) def. Marija Citic (ODU); 6-4, 7-6 (6)
Singles Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 6, 4
1. Fahoum/Citic (ODU) vs. Schwenk/Dashiell (UNCW); 6-5 - DNF
2. Leblang/Lee (UNCW) def. Dobrowolska/Pires (ODU); 9-7
3. Kahle/Hartley Collins (UNCW) def. Dementyeva/Ivanova (ODU); 8-5
Doubles Order of Finish: 3, 2
Other quarterfinal results:
#3 Georgia State 4, #6 James Madison 1
#2 William & Mary 4, #7 Delaware 0
#1 VCU 4, #9 Drexel 0
For complete results and more information, go to caasports.com