Men's Tennis Downs Longwood 6-1
April 5, 2008
Norfolk, Va. - The Old Dominion University men's tennis team snapped a six-game losing streak on Saturday with a 6-1 win over visiting Longwood at the Folkes-Stevens Indoor Tennis Center.
The Monarchs, who hadn't won since a Feb. 29 victory over Western Michigan, opened the day by capturing the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3.
In singles play ODU dominated the action by winning five of the six matches, four coming in straight sets. Aleksandr Seleznev, Eidy Igarashi, Rodrigo Souza and Yakov Diskin all won in straight sets, while at No. 2 it took Tobias Fanselow three sets to defeat Billy Heird. The Lancers earned their only point of the afternoon with Mani Barajas-Alexander's win over Timo Gehrke at No. 6.
OLD DOMINION vs. LONGWOOD
1. Heird/Cardoso (LU) def. Matt Fawcett/Gehrke (ODU) 8-7 (8)
2. Seleznev/Fanselow (ODU) def. Lindsley/Garcia de Andoain (LU) 8-3
3. Souza/Igarashi (ODU) def. Mani/Milo Barajas-Alexander (LU) 8-1
1. Aleksandr Seleznev (ODU) def. Lindsley (LU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Eidy Igarashi (ODU) def. Garcia de Andoain (LU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Tobias Fanselow (ODU) def. Heird (LU) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0
4. Rodrigo Souza (ODU) def. Cardoso (LU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Yakov Diskin (ODU) def. Milo Barajas-Alexander 6-2, 6-2
6. Mani Barajas-Alexander (LU) def. Timo Gehrke (ODU) 6-1, 6-0
FINAL SCORE: ODU 6 Longwood 1