Women's Basketball Travels To Drexel For Meeting With First Place Dragons
Feb. 11, 2009
Thursday, February 12th - 7:00 p.m. (EST)
Daskalakis Center - Philadelphia, Pa.
Old Dominion Lady Monarchs (13-8, 8-3 CAA) vs.
Drexel Dragons (14-8, 9-2 CAA)
LADY MONARCH MOMENTS:
Old Dominion will spend three of its next four games on the road. Next up, the Lady Monarchs will travel to Philadelphia for its lone regular season meeting with Drexel on Thursday then return home for the annual HOOPS FOR A CURE game Sunday against Delaware.
Senior Tiffany Green is averaging a double-double and has posted 10 double-doubles this season. She is currently fourth in the CAA averaging 15.2 points per game. She is currently 20th in the country at 10.0 boards per game.
Junior Jessica Canady isn't letting her thumb injury get in the way of rebounding. Canady has posted double figure boards in the last three games, including 15 in Sunday's contest with the Seahawks.
Freshman Mairi Buchan gave Old Dominion its largest lead of both the first and second half with her three-point shooting on Sunday. She gave the Lady Monarchs a 13-point 20-17 advantage in half number one and a 24-point edge, 62-38, in the second half with shots from downtown. Buchan, who entered the game shooting only 16 percent from three-point range, finished the game 3-of-3 from behind the arc.
COMPARE AND CONTRAST:
ODU - DU
69.0 - Scoring - 61.7
.403 - Field Goal Percentage - .398
.311 - 3PT Field Goal Percentage - .325
.648 - Free Throw Percentage - .810
44.1 - Rebounds Per Game - 33.0
14.3 - Assists Per Game - 13.2
20.0 - Turnovers Per Game - 16.0
9.5 - Steals Per Game - 7.5
5.0 - Blocks Per Game - 3.2
ABOUT DREXEL: The Drexel Dragons enter Thursday night's contest with a 14-8 overall mark and 9-2 CAA mark, tied a top the CAA standings with James Madison and VCU. The Dragons are 6-2 at home at the Daskalakis Center this season, including a perfect 5-0 mark in league play. Drexel has won six straight including a 76-74 overtime victory over William & Mary on Sunday. The Dragon's last setback was at James Madison back on January 18th with a 56-60 loss. Drexel's only other CAA loss was at William & Mary on January 8th with a 57-63 loss. A pair of Dragons are averaging double figures on the season including the nation's sixth leading scorer. CAA Preseason Player of the Year junior forward Gabriela Marginean enters Thursday pouring in 23.1 points per game along with a team-leading 7.1 rebounds per contest. Marginean has scored in double figures in all but one game this season - registering only two points against Delaware The Dragon's other double digit scorer, sophomore guard Jasmina Rosseel is netting 11.6 points per outing.
ALL-TIME SERIES WITH DREXEL:
Old Dominion holds a 14-1 record against Drexel as these two teams became annual rivals when the Dragons entered the CAA in the 2001-02 season. The Dragons' lone victory was at the Daskalakis Center in the 2005 regular season finale with Drexel holding on to a 71-68 victory. However, in the rematch, Old Dominion edged out Drexel, 64-63, in the CAA Tournament semifinals en-route to the Lady Monarchs' 14th straight CAA title. The Lady Monarchs met Drexel just once last year, taking a 66-51 win at the Constant Center.
LAST TIME VS. DREXEL:
Everytime the Drexel Dragons made a run, the No. 10/12 Old Dominion women's basketball team had an answer. The Lady Monarchs emerged with a 66-51 win over the Dragons last February 24th at the Ted Constant Convocation Center to win their 18th straight contest and 22nd consecutive home game. Tiffany Green led the Lady Monarchs with 12 points as one of three in double figures. Both former Lady Monarchs Megan Pym and T.J. Jordan notched 10 apiece. Pym also set a new career steal mark with seven. Jordan, who went 3-of-6 from downtown, tied the CAA record for career three-pointers made with her third and final three at the 2:59 mark of the second half. The senior guard tied Julie Jones (Richmond - 1988-92) for the record with 309 career treys under her belt. Drexel's Gabriela Marginean led all scorers with 20 points, leaving her just five points shy of cracking the 1,000 career point mark. Three-point threat Narissa Suber was held to only one three, but it was the one that gave the senior Dragon her 300th career trey. Suber, Jordan, and Jones are the only members of the CAA to reach the 300 career three-point field goal mark. The Lady Monarchs raced out to a 20-4 lead halfway through the first half, but the Dragons managed to cut its 16-point deficit down to single digits with the opening stanza coming to a close. The Lady Monarchs would enter the locker room up by 10, 29-19. Drexel capitalized on early Old Dominion turnovers out of the gate in the second half managed to pull to within six points two minutes in. Although the Lady Monarchs did manage to briefly go back up by double digits, Drexel once again made it a close game. Jasmina Rossell connected on two free throws for the Dragons as Old Dominion held on to a five-point, 37-32, edge with 11 minutes left. Jazzmin Walters hit a quick three sparking a 9-0 Lady Monarch run to return a double digit lead back the Lady Monarchs. However Drexel countered with a 9-0 run of their own giving Old Dominion another five-point advantage, 46-41, this time with 7:22 left in the game. Green began Old Dominion's counterpunch as Walters found the junior forward wide open for one of her 11 assists on the afternoon. The Lady Monarchs began what would be a 9-2 run, giving Old Dominion a double figure edge the rest of the way. Down the stretch, the Lady Monarchs led by as many as 19.
Head coach Wendy Larry was many of the friends and colleagues attending the funeral of N.C. State coach Kay Yow on Friday, January 30th. ODU's annual HOOPS FOR A CURE game is slated for Feb. 15 against Delaware.
HOOPS FOR A CURE:
Old Dominion heads to Drexel on Thursday as the Dragons promote breast cancer awareness as part of the Women's Basketball Coaches Association's PinkZone. Old Dominion will hold their annual HOOPS FOR A CURE game on Sunday against Delaware. Fans can purchase tickets from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Tidewater and $5.00 from every ticket will support breast cancer programs and research. Call 757-490-7794 or order online at www.komentidewater.org. Fans are encouraged to wear pink to the game to PINK OUT the Constant Center and are reminded to attend the pre-game Health Fair in the lobby and get to your seats early for the pre-game Survivor Walk on the court.
The ODU defense held the Seahawks to its lowest field goal percentage of the season at 28 percent. UNC-Wilmington hit only 14 of its 50 attempts from the floor. The Seahawk bench was only able to net six of its team's 46 points.
ALL-TIME ODU POINTS LIST
1. - 2,719 - Anne Donovan (1979-1983)
2. - 2,647 - Inge Nissen (1976-1980)
3. - 2,430 - Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980)
4. - 2,224 - Kelly Lyons (1986-1990)
5. - 2,112 - Celeste Hill (1990-1994)
6. - 1,999 - Tracy Claxton (1980-1985)
7. - 1,968 - Medina Dixon (1982-1985)
8. - 1,854 - Nyree Roberts (1994-1998)
9. - 1,813 - C. Machanguana (1994-1997)
10. - 1,622 - Mery Andrade (1995-1999)
11. - 1,574 - Adrienne Goodson (1984-1988)
12. - 1,565 - Okeisha Howard (1999-2003)
13. - 1,525 - T.J. Jordan (2004 - present)
14. - 1,492 - Donna Harrington (1987-1988)
15. - 1,483 - Hamchetou Maiga (1998-2002)
16. - 1,447 - Shareese Grant (2001-2005)
17. - 1,409 - Monique Coker (2000-2004)
18. - 1,408 - Angela Cotman (1976-1980)
19. - 1,382 - Lucienne Berthieu (1998-2002)
20.- 1,319- Tiffany Green (2004 - present)
21. - 1,304 - Ticha Penicheiro (1994-1998)
21. - 1,275 - Kim McQuarter (1985-1989)
22. - 1,096 - Shonda DeBerry (1992-1996)
24. - 1,085 - Sharron Francis (1998-2002)
25. - 1,050 - Rhonda Rompola (1978-1981)
26. - 1,023 - Aubrey Eblin (1995-1999)
ALL-TIME ODU ASSISTS LIST
1. Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980) - 961
2. Ticha Penicheiro (1994-1998) - 939
3. Maire Christian (1983-1987) - 492
4. Sharron Francis (1998-2002) - 488
5. Debbie Richard (1976-1979) - 471
6. Mery Andrade (1995-1999) - 447
7. Jazzmin Walters (2005-present) - 422
8. Medina Dixon (1982-1985) - 417
9. Shareese Grant (2001-2005) - 376
10. Rhonda Rompola (1978-1981) - 362
ALL-TIME ODU REBOUNDS LIST
1. Anne Donovan (1979-1983) - 1,976
2. Inge Nissen (1976-1980) - 1,459
3. Tracy Claxton * (1980-1985) - 1,434
4. Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980) - 1,167
5. Celeste Hill (1990-1994) - 1,124
6. Kelly Lyons (1986-1990) - 1,008
7. Nyree Roberts (1994-1998) - 986
8. Medina Dixon ** (1982-1985) - 979
9. Monique Coker (2000-2004) - 951
10. Tiffany Green (2004-pres.) - 940
* - played two seasons at Kansas
** - played one season at South Carolina
CAA CAREER BLOCKS LIST
1. Trish Halpin, Mason (1997-2000) - 236
2. Nyree Robers, ODU (1994-98) - 214
3. Tiffany Green, ODU (2004-pres.) - 196
4t. Hollee Franklin, JMU (1999-2002) - 186
4t. Tiffany Benson, WM (2006-pres.) - 186
6. Amy Dorsett, UR (1993-1997) - 176
7. Vanessa Gidden, HU (2004-2007) - 175
8. Q. Hollingsworth, VCU (2005-pres.) - 157
9. Mona Karlsson, VCU (1996-1999) - 156
10. Rebecca Dayvault, WM (1989-1993) - 155