ODU Defeats UNC Greensboro
Jan. 30, 2005
Winston-Salem, N.C. - The No. 59 Old Dominion men's tennis team played in Winston-Salem, North Carolina at the Wake Forest Indoor Tennis Center over the weekend against No. 43 Wake Forest and UNC Greensboro. On Saturday, the Monarchs fell in a hotly contest match against the Demon Deacons, 4-3, while rebounding with a 7-0 victory over the Spartans in a neutral court match-up. With the weekend's results, the Monarchs record comes to 3-3 on the year.
The Monarchs' double team of Izak van der Merwe (Kempton Park, South Africa) and Nate Grover (Suffolk, Va.), currently ranked #38, picked up their second straight upset of the weekend. After downing Duke's 15th-ranked doubles team on Friday, the top Old Dominion doubles team picked up an 8-6 victory over #35 Derrick Spice and Brent Ross.
However, the Demon Decons went on to capture the doubles point with victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Wake Forest's Todd Paul and Marius Adamski defeated ODU's newcomers in Rodrigo Souza and Eidy Igarashi, 8-3, at the No. 2 spot, while Henrique Cancado and Adriano Mello fell 8-2 to Andrew Hama and Liron Strauss at No. 3 doubles.
Wake Forest and Old Dominion spilt the six singles matches. Among the highlights for the Monarchs were two victories over ranked opponents. Seventh ranked Izak van der Merwe picked up a 7-6 (5), 6-7, win over #80 Derrick Spice, while Henrique Cancado earned a 6-3, 7-6 (1) win over #68 Brent Ross. The win marked the second victory over the ranked Demon Deacon player this season. Back in the fall, Cancado defeated Ross in the Round of 64 at the ITA Mideast Regional Championships.
Old Dominion's other singles winner was Juliano Cirimbelli at No. 5 singles with a 6-3, 7-6 (3) win over Liron Strauss.
The Monarchs rebounded on Sunday with a 7-0 victory against UNC Greensboro. It marked the third 7-0 win of the season for Old Dominion.
Old Dominion won the doubles point with victories at all three spots. Izak van der Merwe teammed with Herique Cancado for an 8-6 win over the Spartan's Greg Levy and Marc Ladouceur at the top spot. Rodrigo Souza and Eidy Igarashi played to an 8-3 win over Jason Steinhorn and Daniel Bustamante at No. 2 doubles and Nate Grover and Juliano Cirimbelli earned an 8-5 win at No. 3 doubles versus Chris Magnone and Adriano Mello.
In singles play, the Monarchs swept all six singles matches in straight sets. Izak van der Merwe, the seventh ranked player in the country, defeated Marc Ladouceur, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 1 singles, while his doubles partner of the day Herique Cancado downed Greg Levy, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 2 singles. At No. 3 singles, Eidy Igarashi defeated Chris Magnon, 6-4, 6-3 and teammate Juliano Cirimbelli played to a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles against Jason Steinhorn. Rodrgio Souza picked up an 6-3, 6-3 victory at the fifth spot against Daniel Bustamante, while Nate Grover rounded out singles play with an 6-1, 6-0, No. 6 singles win over Adriano Salucci.
The Monarchs will return to action on February 9th when they travel to California to take on San Francisco.
#43 Wake Forest 4, #59 Old Dominion 3
1. #7 Izak van der Merwe (ODU) def. #80 Derrick Spice (WF): 7-6(5), 6-7, 6-4
2. Henrique Cancado (ODU) def. #68 Brent Ross (WF): 6-3, 7-6(1)
3. Todd Paul (WF) def. Eidy Igarashi (ODU): 6-2, 6-3
4. Andrew Hamar (WF) d. Rodrigo Souza (ODU): 7-5, 6-3
5. Juliano Cirimbelli (ODU) def. Liron Strauss (WF): 6-3, 7-6(3)
6. Marius Adamski (WF) def. Nate Grover (ODU); 6-3, 6-2
1. #38 Izak van der Merwe/Nate Grover def. #35 Derrick Spice/Brent Ross (WF): 8-6
2. Todd Paul/Marius Adamski (WF) def. Rodrigo Souza/Eidy Igarashi (ODU): 8-3
3. Andrew Hamar/Liron Strauss (WF) def. Herique Cancado/Adriano Mello (ODU): 8-2
#59 Old Dominion 7, UNC Greensboro 0
1. #7 Izak van der Merwe (ODU) def. Marc Ladouceur (UNCG): 6-1, 6-2
2. Henrique Cancado (ODU) def. Greg Levy (UNCG): 6-3, 6-3
3. Eidy Igarashi (ODU) def. Chris Magnone (UNCG): 6-4, 6-3
4. Juliano Cirimbelli (ODU) def. Jason Steinhorn (UNCG): 6-0, 6-2
5. Rodrigo Souza (ODU) def. Daniel Bustamante (UNCG): 6-3, 6-3
6. Nathaniel Grover (ODU) def. Adriano Salucci (UNCG): 6-1, 6-0
1. Izak van der Merwe/Henrique Cancado (ODU) def. Greg Levy/Marc Ladouceur (UNCG): 8-6
2. Rodrigo Souza/Eidy Igarashi (ODU) def. Jason Steinhorn/Daniel Bustamante (UNCG): 8-3
3. Nathanial Grover/Juliano Cirimbelli (ODU) def. Chris Magnone/Adriano Salucci (UNCG): 8-5