Monarchs Fall Just Short At No. 49 NC State
Jan. 25, 2009
Raleigh, N.C. – With the score knotted at three apiece, NC State’s Eric Turner won the third set of his match against Old Dominion’s Krzysztof Muzalewski to give the 49th ranked Wolfpack a 4-3 decision over the visiting Monarchs (3-1) Sunday afternoon.
In doubles play, the Monarchs 43rd ranked duo of Aleksandr Seleznev and Tobias Fanselow defeated the Wolfpack team of Christian Welte and Julian Sullivan 8-3 at No. 1, but Jay Weinacker and Jaime Pulgar tied up the doubles with an 8-6 win over ODU’s Matt Fawcett and Krzysztof Muzalewski. The doubles point came down to a hard-fought No. 3 match that was decided in a tie-break with the Monarchs Yakov Diskin and Alex Funkhouser edging Frideric Prandecki and David Chermak, 9-8 (9-7).
The singles action proved to be just as exciting with the Wolfpack jumping out to a 3-1 advantage after wins at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4. However, the Monarchs rallied to make things interesting. After dropping the first set, Diskin came back to knock off Derek Stephens 6-7 (2), 7-6 (8-6), 6-0, at No. 3, and at No. 5 Fawcett defeated Chermak 7-5, 7-5 to tie the score at 3-3.
The No. 6 matchup decided the outcome of the match, and after splitting the first two sets 6-4, 4-6, Muzalewski fell to Turner in the third by a score 6-3.
ODU returns to action on Wednesday, Jan. 28 when the Monarchs play host to Princeton at 1 p.m.
No. 49 NC State 4, Old Dominion 3
1. No. 43 Seleznev/Fanselow (ODU) def. Welte/Sullivan (NCSU) 8-3
2. Weinacker/Pulgar (NCSU) def. Fawcett/Muzalewski (ODU) 8-6
3. Diskin/Funkhouser (ODU) def. Chermal/Prandecki (NCSU) 9-8 (9-7)
1. No. 55 Jay Weinacker (NCSU) def. Aleksandr Seleznev (ODU) 7-5, 7-6, (4), 6-4
2. No. 124 Christian Welte (NCSU) def. No. 80 Tobias Fanselow (ODU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Yakov Diskin (ODU) def. Derek Stephens (NCSU) 6-7 (2),7-6 (8-6), 6-0
4. Jaime Pulgar (NCSU) def. Alex Funkhouser (ODU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Matt Fawcett (ODU) def. David Chermak (NCSU) 7-5, 7-5
6. Eric Turner (NCSU) def. Krzysztof Muzalewski (ODU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 4,2,1,3,5,6*
*Clinches the win