Men's Tennis Falls In Regular Season Finale, 5-2
By ODU Athletics
April 12, 2009
Williamsburg, Va. – The ODU men’s tennis team closed out its regular season on Sunday with a 5-2 loss to visiting South Alabama as the Monarchs said goodbye to their lone senior Aleksandr Seleznev on Senior Day.
The Monarchs won the No. 1 doubles match 8-3 as Matt Fawcett and Tobias Fanselow defeated the Jaguar duo of Romain Bocaert and Hanno Bartsch. However, South Florida came back to win the doubles point with victories at No. 2 and 3.
The singles competition was fierce as all but one match went into a third set. Attempting to win his final match at Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center, Seleznev could not hold off South Alabama’s Marek Sramek who won 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 at No. 1. Fanselow and Fawcett accounted for ODU’s two points on the day with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 respectively. Fanselow knocked off Bocaert 6-4, 0-6, 6-4 and Fawcett was too much for Leo Dominguez, earning the 5-7, 7-5, 10-3 win.
The Monarchs will now shift their focus to the upcoming CAA Championships which will be held on the campus of ODU beginning this Thursday, April 16.
1. Fawcett/Fanselow (ODU) def. Bocaert/Bartsch (USA) 8-3
2. Kruger/ Dominguez (USA) def. Seleznev/Funkhouser (ODU) 9-7
3. Krisan/Sramek (USA) def. Muzalewski/Marks (ODU) 8-5
1. Marek Sramek (USA) def. Aleksandr Seleznev (ODU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
2. Tobias Fanselow (ODU) def. Romain Bocaert (USA) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
3. Matt Fawcett (ODU) def. Leo Dominguez (USA) 5-7, 7-5, (10-3)
4. Aaron Krisan (USA) def. Yakov Diskin (ODU) 7-5, 6-7(1), 6-0
5. Dauw Kruger (USA) def. Alex Funkhouser (ODU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Hanno Bartsch (USA) def. Krzysztof Muzalewski (ODU) 6-2, 6-2
FINAL SCORE: SOUTH ALABAMA 5, ODU 2