Monarchs Defeat Visiting Princeton 5-2 In Men's Tennis
By ODU Athletics
Jan. 28, 2009
Norfolk, Va. – The Old Dominion University Monarchs won two of three doubles matches and four of the six matches to cruise to a 5-2 victory over Princeton Wednesday afternoon at the Folkes-Stevens Indoor Tennis Center. With the win the Monarchs improve to 4-1, while the Tigers fell to 2-0.
The Monarchs earned the doubles point thanks in part to an 8-5 victory at No. 1 where the 43rd ranked duo of Aleksandr Seleznev and Tobias Fanselow defeated Princeton’s Peter Capkovic and Alex Vuckovic. ODU’s Yakov Diskin and Alex Funkhouser defeated Alex Faust and Yahei Shoji by a score of 8-6 at No. 3, while the Tigers took the No. 2 doubles match when the duo of Ilya Trubov and Ryan Kim cruised to an 8-3 win over the Monarchs Matt Fawcett and Krzysztof Muzalewski.
In singles play, the Monarchs won three of their four matches in straight sets. Seleznev defeated Capkovic 6-2, 6-3 at No. 1, and at No. 2, 80th Fanselow downed Alex Vukovic 6-2, 5-7, (10-1). Diskin rolled to a 7-5, 6-2 win over Ryan Kim at No. 3 and Matt Fawcett won 6-2, 6-2 against Ravi Yegya-Raman at No. 5.
The Tigers got points at No. 4 when Faust came from behind to defeat Funkhouser 1-6, 6-1, 6-2, and at No. 6 where Charlie Brosens downed Muzalewski.
ODU returns to the court on Friday at 1 p.m. for a Colonial Athletic Association matchup against James Madison.
1. #43 Seleznev/Fanselow (ODU) def. Capkovic/Vuckovic (PU) 8-5
2. Trubon/Kim (PU) def. Fawcett/Muzalewski (ODU) 8-3
3. Diskin/Funkhouser (ODU) def. Faust/Shoji (PU) 8-6
1. Aleksandr Seleznev (ODU) def. Peter Capkovic (PU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #80 Tobias Fanselow (ODU) def. Alex Vuckovic (PU) 6-2, 5-7, (10-1)
3. Yakov Diskin (ODU) def. Ryan Kim (PU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Alex Faust (PU) def. Alex Funkhouser (ODU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Matt Fawcett (ODU) def. Ravi Yegya-Raman (PU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Charlie Brosens (PU) def. Krzysztof Muzalewski (ODU) 7-6 (5), 6-1
FINAL SCORE: ODU 5, Princeton 2