Ninth Ranked Duke Defeats Men's Tennis
By ODU Athletics
Jan. 29, 2005
DURHAM, N.C. -- The No. 9 Duke Blue Devils defeated No 59 Old Dominion, 7-0, in men's tennis Friday night, however the Monarchs' 38th ranked doubles team of senior Izak van der Merwe (Kempton Park, South Africa) and sophomore Nate Grover (Suffolk, Va.) upended the Blue Devils' 15th ranked duo of Peter Rodrigues and Jonatha Stokke at No. 1 doubles, 9-8 (3).
The victory improved the Blue Devils to 2-0 on the year, while the Monarchs fell to 2-2 with both losses coming at the hands of teams ranked in the Top 10 of the most current ITA Poll.
Duke claimed all six singles matches with three of the top Blue Devil singles players currently ranked in the ITA Poll. Among the highlights in the match included a battle of the All-Americans between Duke's #6 Ludovic Walter and ODU's #7 Izak van der Merwe. Ludovic earned the 6-4, 6-3 win to avenge a three-set loss to van der Merwe in the quarterfinals of the ITA National Indoor Tennis Championships this past November. After dropping the first two games of the opening set, Walter rebounded to win six of the next eight games to claim the set. Walter then broke serve twice in the second set to avenge.
Duke picked up the doubles point with victories at the numbers two and three positions.
The Monarchs return to action on at Wake Forest on Saturday at No. 43 Wake Forest.
1. #6 Ludovic Walter (Duke) def. #7 Izak van der Merwe, 6-4, 6-3
2. #52 Jonathan Stokke (Duke) def. Eidy Igarashi, 6-4, 6-4
3. #106 Stephen Amritraj (Duke) def. Henrique Cancado, 6-3, 6-2
4. Peter Shults (Duke) def. Rodrigo Souza, 6-2. 6-4
5. Peter Rodrigues (Duke) def. Adriano Mello, 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
6. Charles Brezac (Duke) def. Nathanial Grover, 6-4. 6-2
1. #38 Grover & van der Merwe (ODU) def. #15 Rodrigues & Stokke, 9-8 (3)
2. Amritraj & Jason Zimmermann (Duke) def. Igarashi & Souza, 8-4
3. Brezac & Walter (Duke) def. Cancado & Mello, 8-3