Monarchs Down Georgia State 6-1 In CAA Matchup
April 7, 2008
Norfolk, Va. - The Old Dominion University men's tennis team improved to 3-2 in the Colonial Athletic Association with a 6-1 victory over visiting Georgia State Saturday morning at the Folkes-Stevens Indoor Tennis Facility.
The Panthers won 8-5 at No. 1 doubles, but the Monarchs captured victories at No. 2 and No. 3 to secure the doubles point for ODU.
In singles action the Monarchs won five of six matches with three of the wins coming in straight sets. Rodrigo Souza and Yakov Diskin had the most dominating performances as they defeated their opponents 6-0, 6-0 at No. 4 and No. 6 respectively.
OLD DOMINION UNVIVERSITY vs. GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY
1. Podkrajsek/Cevka (GSU) def. Gehrke/Fawcett (ODU) 8-5
2. Seleznev/Fanselow (ODU) def. Adeimy/Spinks (GSU) 8-1
3. Igarashi/Souza (ODU) def. Elezovic/Hopper (GSU) 8-4
1. Nejc Podkrajsek (GSU) def. Alexandr Seleznev (ODU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Eidy Igarashi (ODU) def. Anze Cevka (GSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Tobias Fanselow (ODU) def. Aleksandar Elezovic (GSU) 6-4, 6-7(4), 10-4
4. Rodrigo Souza (ODU) def. William Adeimy (GSU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Matthew Fawcett (ODU) def. Trenton Spinks (ODU) 6-7(4), 6-1, 10-2
6. Yakov Diskin (ODU) def. Ross Hopper (GSU) 6-0, 6-0
FINAL SCORE: ODU 6 GEORGIA STATE 1