Women's Basketball Returns Home Thursday To Host Northeastern
Feb. 4, 2009
Thursday, February 5th - 7:00 p.m. (EST)
Ted Constant Convocation Center - Norfolk, Va.
Old Dominion Lady Monarchs (11-8, 6-3 CAA) vs.
Northeastern Huskies (8-12, 5-4 CAA)
Radio: WXEZ - 94.1 FM, WGAI-560 AM (Tony Mercurio - Play-by-Play, Susan Montgomery - Color)
Audio: Monarch All-Access
Video: Monarch All-Access
Tickets: www.coxtix.com, 888-3COXTIX, or Constant Center Box Office
PROMOTIONS: The Mini Monarchs Kid's Club will be holding its lockerroom night following Thursday night's contest with the Huskies. Be sure to check in with the Kids Club tables prior to the game.
LADY MONARCH MOMENTS:
The Lady Monarchs return home to the friendly confines of the Ted Constant Convocation Center to close out season series with Northeastern on Thursday and UNC-Wilmington on Sunday.
Old Dominion will be looking to snap a three-game losing streak that has had the Lady Monarchs fall to James Madison at home as well as Georgia State and VCU last week. The Lady Monarchs have had one other three game losing streak this season when they fell to #11/13 Tennessee,, #15.16 Maryland, and Ole Miss to close out the non-conference schedule. The Lady Monarchs rebounded however to rattle off six straight victories.
Senior Tiffany Green has collected 20 or more points in three of the last four outings, including a game-high 21 points in Thursday's loss to VCU. The senior center has also recorded double figure rebounds in six of the last seven games.
COMPARE AND CONTRAST:
ODU - NU
69.1 - Scoring - 56.8
.398 - Field Goal Percentage - .383
.305 - 3PT Field Goal Percentage - .302
.656 - Free Throw Percentage - .714
43.7 - Rebounds Per Game - 33.5
13.8 - Assists Per Game - 9.7
19.8 - Turnovers Per Game - 18.9
9.6 - Steals Per Game - 9.3
4.8 - Blocks Per Game - 3.3
The Northeastern Huskies enter the Ted Constant Convocation Center sporting an 8-12 overall mark and 5-4 CAA record. The Huskies have swung back and forth between the win and loss columns the last five games, including a 57-47 victory over George Mason in their last outing on Sunday afternoon. Northeastern has a pair averaging double figures with Jasmine Crew pouring in 13.5 points per game. Kim Carr, who led the Huskies with 18 points in their loss to Old Dominion earlier this year, is averaging 10.6 points per game. Kendra Walton leads Northeastern on the boards at 6.6 per contest.
ALL-TIME SERIES WITH
Old Dominion leads the all-time series 6-0. The Huskies are one of four teams in the CAA still looking to record a victory over the Lady Monarchs. Old Dominion won the first meeting this season back on January 11th with a 66-56 win at Solomon Court.
LAST TIME VS.
Sophomore Jasmine Parker netted a team-high 17 points and senior Tiffany Green poured in a double-double with 12 points and 11 boards in the Old Dominion women's basketball team's 66-56 victory at Northeastern the snowy afternoon of January 11th at Solomon Court. Old Dominion led by just two, 25-23, at the half before Green exploded for all 12 of her points in half number two. Leading by four, 31-35, with 14:11 left in the game, Old Dominion proceeded to take a 9-3 run sparked by a Parker three for its first double digit lead of the afternoon. Northeastern would pull no closer than seven the rest of the way. Green, who was limited to only two looks at the basket in the first half,shot 6-of-8 from the field in the second half. Also joining Parker and Green in double figures was senior Jazzmin Walters with 15. Walters also added in six assists and three steals. Northeastern had two in double figures led by Kim Carr with 18. Kendra Walton, who connected on 3-of-4 from three-point range, added in 17 all coming in the second half.
Last season, junior Jessica Canady had a memorable game against the Huskies. With the Lady Monarchs winning a 76-37 contest at Solomon Court last January 24th, Canady netted a career-high 28 points, which included 22 first half points along with a string of 14 consecutive points.
ANOTHER HEALTHY BODY:
Old Dominion got one Lady Monarch deeper this week as sophomore forward Shadasia Green's waiver from the NCAA was approved. Green last took to the court for the Lady Monarchs against UNC-Wilmington on January 8th.
Head coach Wendy Larry was one of the many of the friends and colleagues attending the funeral of N.C. State coach Kay Yow this past Friday. ODU's annual HOOPS FOR A CURE game is slated for Feb. 15 against Delaware.
CAA LOSING STREAK:
Losing isn't something that's common with the Lady Monarchs in the CAA and losing streaks in the conference are certainly rare. Old Dominion, who in the midst of a three-game losing streak with losses to James Madison, Georgia State, and VCU over the last two weeks, has only put together a three-game losing streak in the CAA three times since joining the leagu e in the 1991-92 season. Old Dominion fell to VCU, James Madison, and Delaware in a row in 2002-03 and James Madison, Richmond, and East Carolina in its first season in the league in 1991-92.
PTD BECOMES A PTP:
Freshman Pryncess Tate-Dublin made her Lady Monarch debut on Thursday at Georgia State. Tate-Dublin was to redshirt the 2008-09 season, but the plan was scrubbed due to the amount of injuries suffered by the Lady Monarchs roster this season. Tate-Dublin played 14 minutes in her debut with four points and two rebounds.
ALL-TIME ODU POINTS LIST
1. - 2,719 - Anne Donovan (1979-1983)
2. - 2,647 - Inge Nissen (1976-1980)
3. - 2,430 - Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980)
4. - 2,224 - Kelly Lyons (1986-1990)
5. - 2,112 - Celeste Hill (1990-1994)
6. - 1,999 - Tracy Claxton (1980-1985)
7. - 1,968 - Medina Dixon (1982-1985)
8. - 1,854 - Nyree Roberts (1994-1998)
9. - 1,813 - C. Machanguana (1994-1997)
10. - 1,622 - Mery Andrade (1995-1999)
11. - 1,574 - Adrienne Goodson (1984-1988)
12. - 1,565 - Okeisha Howard (1999-2003)
13. - 1,525 - T.J. Jordan (2004 - present)
14. - 1,492 - Donna Harrington (1987-1988)
15. - 1,483 - Hamchetou Maiga (1998-2002)
16. - 1,447 - Shareese Grant (2001-2005)
17. - 1,409 - Monique Coker (2000-2004)
18. - 1,408 - Angela Cotman (1976-1980)
19. - 1,382 - Lucienne Berthieu (1998-2002)
20. - 1,304 - Ticha Penicheiro (1994-1998)
21.- 1,291 - Tiffany Green (2004 - present)
21. - 1,275 - Kim McQuarter (1985-1989)
22. - 1,096 - Shonda DeBerry (1992-1996)
24. - 1,085 - Sharron Francis (1998-2002)
25. - 1,050 - Rhonda Rompola (1978-1981)
26. - 1,023 - Aubrey Eblin (1995-1999)
ALL-TIME ODU ASSISTS LIST
1. Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980) - 961
2. Ticha Penicheiro (1994-1998) - 939
3. Maire Christian (1983-1987) - 492
4. Sharron Francis (1998-2002) - 488
5. Debbie Richard (1976-1979) - 471
6. Mery Andrade (1995-1999) - 447
7. Jazzmin Walters (2005-present) - 422
8. Medina Dixon (1982-1985) - 417
9. Shareese Grant (2001-2005) - 376
10. Rhonda Rompola (1978-1981) - 362
ALL-TIME ODU REBOUNDS LIST
1. Anne Donovan (1979-1983) - 1,976
2. Inge Nissen (1976-1980) - 1,459
3. Tracy Claxton * (1980-1985) - 1,434
4. Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980) - 1,167
5. Celeste Hill (1990-1994) - 1,124
6. Kelly Lyons (1986-1990) - 1,008
7. Nyree Roberts (1994-1998) - 986
8. Medina Dixon ** (1982-1985) - 979
9. Monique Coker (2000-2004) - 951
10. Tiffany Green (2004-pres.) - 919
* - played two seasons at Kansas
** - played one season at South Carolina
CAA CAREER BLOCKS LIST
1. Trish Halpin, Mason (1997-2000) - 236
2. Nyree Robers, ODU (1994-98) - 214
3. Tiffany Green, ODU (2004-pres.) - 192
4. Hollee Franklin, JMU (1999-2002) - 186
5. Tiffany Benson, WM (2006-pres.) - 183
6. Amy Dorsett, UR (1993-1997) - 176
7. Vanessa Gidden, HU (2004-2007) - 175
8. Mona Karlsson, VCU (1996-1999) - 156
9. Rebecca Dayvault, WM (1989-1993) - 155
10. Q. Hollingsworth, VCU (2005-pres.) - 153