Fanselow's Victory Helps Monarchs Upset No. 33 VCU
By ODU Athletics
Feb. 18, 2009
Norfolk, Va. – With the score tied at 3-3, ODU sophomore Tobias Fanselow closed out his straight set victory over VCU’s Nicolas Vinel to give the Monarchs a 4-3 win over the 33rd ranked Rams in a Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) men’s tennis mathup Wednesday afternoon. With the victory the Monarchs snapped a three-match skid and improved to 8-5, 2-0 in the CAA, while the Rams fell to 8-4, 1-1 in league play.
The competition was fierce from the beginning with two of the three doubles matches going to a tiebreaker, however ODU earned the doubles point by winning all three matches. Fanselow and Aleksandr Seleznev defeated Emil Lindgren and Benjamin Bouhama 9-8(2) at No. 1, and Alex Funkhouser and Yakov Diskin just got by the VCU duo of Jordan Dyke and Nicolas Vinel by a score of 9-8(4) at No. 3. At No. 2 doubles Old Dominion’s Matt Fawcett and Ben Marcks upended Thibaut Charron and Bobo Delemark 9-7.
In singles action, Seleznev and Fawcett made easy work of their opponents with straight sets victories. Seleznev cruised past Bouhama 6-1, 6-1 at No. 1, while at No. 5 Fawcett defeated Lindgren 6-2, 6-1 to extend his singles winning streak to 11 matches. He has not lost a dual match this spring.
The Rams got back into the match with wins at No. 3, No. 4 and No. 6, tying the match at 3-3. However, Fanselow closed out the victory for the Monarchs with his 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 2.
ODU returns to action this Saturday when the Monarchs host Middle Tennessee State at 10 a.m. and Temple at 3 p.m.
1. #43 Seleznev/Fanselow (ODU) def. Lindgren/Bouhama (VCU) 9-8(2)
2. Fawcett/Marks (ODU) def. Charron/Delemark (VCU) 9-7
3. Funkhouser/Diskin (ODU) def. Dyke/Vinel (VCU) 9-8(4)
1. Aleksandr Seleznev (ODU) def. Benjamin Bouhama (VCU) 6-1, 6-1
2. #80 Tobias Fanselow (ODU) def. #107 Nicolas Vinel (VCU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Thibaut Charron (VCU) def. Yakov Diskin (ODU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Bobo Delemark (VCU) def. Alex Funkhouser (ODU) 6-3, 7-6(5)
5. Matt Fawcett (ODU) def. #98 Emil Lindgren (VCU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Filip Svensson (VCU) def. Krzysztof Muzalewski (ODU) 6-0, 3-6 (10-5)
FINAL SCORE: OLD DOMINION 4, VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH 3