Srugo Downs Fourth Ranked Opponent As Monarch Tennis Defeats South Florida, 4-3,
By ODU Athletics
March 12, 2006
TAMPA, Fla. -- The Old Dominion men's tennis team, ranked 64th in the country, won its third straight with a 4-3 victory over South Florida at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts on Friday.
Included in the victory was Harel Srugo's fourth win over a ranked opponent this season. Srugo, who has previously defeated #57 Stephen Ward of William & Mary, #52 Arnaud Lecloerec of VCU, and #31 Rylan Rizza of Virginia, added #28 Dirk Britzen of South Florida to his list. Playing at the top spot, Srugo defeated Britzen in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1.
The Monarchs captured win at No. 3, No. 4, and No. 5 as well for the victory. Aleksander Seleznev registered a straight set victory over USF's Juan Barragan, 6-2, 6-1, during his No. 4 singles appearance. Also, Rodrigo Souza edged out Dillon Brozyna in a come from behind win, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 5 singles. Eidy Igarashi was up 3-0 at No. 3 singles against Marc Jaeger before the match was retired.
No. 64 Old Dominion 4, South Florida 3
1. Harel Srugo (ODU) def. No. 28 Dirk Britzen (USF) 6-3, 6-1
2. Federico Barton (USF) def. Henrique Cancado (ODU) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Eidy Igarashi (ODU) def. Marc Jaeger (USF) 3-0 ret.
4. Aleksandr Seleznev (ODU) def. Juan Barragan (USF) 6-2, 6-1
5. Rodrigo Suza (ODU) def. Dillon Brozyna (USF) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Mark Gattiker (USF) def. Nathanial Grover (ODU) 6-2, 7-6 (9-7)
1. Britzen/Barton (USF) def. Cancado/Igarashi (ODU) 8-5
2. Srugo/Seleznev (ODU) def. Jaeger/Brozyna (USF) 8-2
3. Barragan/Gattiker (USF) def. Grover/Sands (ODU) 8-6